Ditch the playground rule book

Interesting story in that a few school in New Zealand are experimenting with having a no-rule playtime whereby almost anything goes. Want to play on your skateboard or climb that tree in the school yard? Go ahead. Kids having fun meant less bullying occurring.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/school-ditches-rules-and-loses-bullies-5807957

After watching the video I can see they are having way too much fun and I think this approach will do well over here but I doubt we'll see it being adopted for fear of being sued.

What do you think of this?

Do you actually know how many claims against schools succeed for anything "play" related? Contrary to what the Mail want you to believe it's next to none. I've been dealing with personal injury claims for fast approaching 20 years and can't recall any. Seen a fair few clients ask and I've told them all they've no claim.

Have a look at the Compensation Act 2006.

Do you actually know how many claims against schools succeed for anything "play" related? Contrary to what the Mail want you to believe it's next to none. I've been dealing with personal injury claims for fast approaching 20 years and can't recall any. Seen a fair few clients ask and I've told them all they've no claim.

Have a look at the Compensation Act 2006.

If that's the case, I say go for it. I suspect as we are dropping behind other nations the kids will be either doing longer school days or shorter holidays. If that's the case let them have a bit of fun. Actually it might teach them a few things - responsibility for the inevitable window break and risk assessment.

If that's the case, I say go for it.

Me too. Go for it. So long as the kid gets to choose what activity they do, and there should be a range of activities available.

I used to go to computer club at school during lunch, and it was pretty much a self-directed learning session, loved it though. Point is, horses for courses; kids should be able to spend some time doing stuff they want to do; and rough and tumble isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Archived