Does anyone remember Margaret Leigh from Gaunt Close.

Boginspro

I wonder if anyone remembers a lass called Margaret Leigh (Lea) who lived in Gaunt Close behind the John O'Gaunt pub in the 60's.

Nope, don't think so. How old would she have been? I remember Jane and Janet Wilde, smashing girls.

I wonder if anyone remembers a lass called Margaret Leigh (Lea) who lived in Gaunt Close behind the John O'Gaunt pub in the 60's.

Don't remember the name at all, what sort of year and how old would she have been in the 60's?, the family names (as many as I can remember) from top to bottom were:

Jarvis, Dent, Taylor, Frankish, Slattery, Bishop, Fagin, Deakin, Wright, Wilson, Dalton, Palfreyman, not sure about this one one but the lad was called Paul, can't remember next one, Wilde (not their name, name of grandaughters Jane and Janet), then I think Hall, then Jeanette and Mark Steele's granparents.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 21:57 ----------

Nope, don't think so. How old would she have been? I remember Jane and Janet Wilde, smashing girls.

Jane and Janet lived with their grand parents, I can't remember where their mum lived, but she was often visiting them.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 22:15 ----------

Actually the more I think about it, I think one of the familys near of the bottom Gaunt Close might have been called Leigh (or maybe the street behind)

How old are you grappler and what school did you go to

Hemsworth Infant and Juniors, Gleadless Valley Secondary, left Valley school in 1978, went to Herdings Youth Club as a kid, drank in the Gaunt, the Horse and Groom (rarely), The Cutlers, The New Inn, The Nailmakers, The Baggy, went to the fair behind the water tower in the 70's.

Etc., etc., etc:hihi:

Hemsworth Infant and Juniors, Gleadless Valley Secondary, left Valley school in 1978, went to Herdings Youth Club as a kid, drank in the Gaunt, the Horse and Groom (rarely), The Cutlers, The New Inn, The Nailmakers, The Baggy, went to the fair behind the water tower in the 70's.

Etc., etc., etc:hihi:

You're 7/8 years younger than me so I probably won't know you anyway. I left GV school in 1970 but all the pubs I used as well

She would have been about 17 in 1965, she worked at Osborn Mushets I think on Peniston Road.

---------- Post added 10-02-2014 at 22:02 ----------

She would have been about 17 in 1965, she worked at Osborn Mushets I think on Peniston Road.

Don't remember the name at all, what sort of year and how old would she have been in the 60's?, the family names (as many as I can remember) from top to bottom were:

Jarvis, Dent, Taylor, Frankish, Slattery, Bishop, Fagin, Deakin, Wright, Wilson, Dalton, Palfreyman, not sure about this one one but the lad was called Paul, can't remember next one, Wilde (not their name, name of grandaughters Jane and Janet), then I think Hall, then Jeanette and Mark Steele's granparents.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 21:57 ----------

Jane and Janet lived with their grand parents, I can't remember where their mum lived, but she was often visiting them.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 22:15 ----------

Actually the more I think about it, I think one of the familys near of the bottom Gaunt Close might have been called Leigh (or maybe the street behind)

I think it was the row of houses off the road right behind the pub, but it could have been the row behind that, about 4 houses down. As I said previously she would have been about 17 in 1965, she worked at Osborn Mushets I think on Peniston Road.

You're 7/8 years younger than me so I probably won't know you anyway. I left GV school in 1970 but all the pubs I used as well

All depends pal, I knew a lot of older lads, it was that sort of estate wasn't it, everybody knew everybody

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 13:54 ----------

I think it was the row of houses off the road right behind the pub, but it could have been the row behind that, about 4 houses down. As I said previously she would have been about 17 in 1965, she worked at Osborn Mushets I think on Peniston Road.

Could have been the street behind I agree

At the bottom end of the second block of houses, lived the Dewsnaps and next door to them, My grandparents, all of whom were decanted from Netherthorpe (the Fawcett Street/ Summer Street area)

edit to clarify, my grandparents lived in about the second or third house up from the bottom, and the Dewsnaps in the house above theirs.

To the person who remembered Jeanette and Mark Steele's grandparents living in the first house on the block immediately behind the police station:- yes, that's correct. Their mum and dad, Maureen and Tony Steele also lived there, in the late 70s or early 80s, for some years, after moving from the bottom-floor maisonette on the block of maisonettes below where the gennell opened onto gaunt road, opposite the kidney shaped play area behind the flats on what was called "the back-field". Mark and I are the same age, and were in the same school-year. (with Jacqueline Deakin, whose mum and I shared the same birthday)

I remember "Auntie" Queenie Dewsnap, and the English Bull Terier (s) she owned.

The Palfreyman family lived around number 10 or 12, just up a way on the same block as Jeanette and Mark's grandparents.

Margaret Leigh would have been roughly the same age as my uncle Philip, if she was 17 in 1965 (Philip was born in about 1947/8 )

Archived