Does anyone remember Margaret Leigh from Gaunt Close.

Boginspro

Hello Hillsbro,

Thank you, it must have been 52 Gaunt Close. I looked it up on some maps and thinking back you could not see the pub through the front window.

I can not remember her fathers name even though the last time I saw him he wanted to kill me. Funny that, most girl friends fathers in those days seemed to have a similar attitude.

Here is a scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory..:)

Thanks, Hillsboro! :)

Well! I was more or less right about the Palfreyman family. I said they lived at number 10 or 12, and hey presto, it was number 10! (I could have searched my great-grandpa's book out of the box in my loft, which Pauline P wrote her name and address in the flyleaf of, but I couldn't get into the loft!)

A quick question:-

Was the Kellys directory a trades directory, or something, Hillboro, as opposed to an electoral register?

I ask because I noticed there seems to be only one person, per household, listed, (I notice my Grandpa's name in there, but not my father's, or my other uncle, who were both aged 21 and over:- and, indeed, my mother or grandmother's names, as persons who were also living in the property at that time)

.....Was the Kellys directory a trades directory, or something, Hillboro, as opposed to an electoral register?...
Kelly's directories combined a trade directory (alphabetical and classified, with additional paid advertising available) with information on government and other public establishments (lists of councillors & magistrates, local council departments, information on police, health, education etc. with lots of useful names, addresses and telephone phone numbers). There was also a very useful street-by-street section listing householders (only). Another section was a list of "Private Residents". This was an alphabetical list of (some) householders - but nobody has ever been able to tell me how a householder qualified as a "private resident"!

Over the years, Kelly's began to lose out to Yellow Pages etc., and the last directory for Sheffield and Rotherham was published for 1974 (a copy of the 1974 directory recently changed hands on eBay for just over £100). I have a PDF version of the 1925 Kelly's Directory and the local books for 1931, 1937, 1941, 1954, 1957, 1965 and 1973. Some earlier ones can be viewed freely online. My books tend to get worn out and most have been rebound!.:)

Regarding the subject of the thread, the 1965 directory shows a T.A. Leigh at No 52 Gaunt Close. The marriages index shows a Thomas A. Leigh who married Mary E. Mallinson in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1937, and the births index shows a possible daughter Margaret Leigh who was born in Apr-Jun 1950.

Kelly's directories combined a trade directory (alphabetical and classified, with additional paid advertising available) with information on government and other public establishments (lists of councillors & magistrates, local council departments, information on police, health, education etc. with lots of useful names, addresses and telephone phone numbers). There was also a very useful street-by-street section listing householders (only). Another section was a list of "Private Residents". This was an alphabetical list of (some) householders - but nobody has ever been able to tell me how a householder qualified as a "private resident"!

Over the years, Kelly's began to lose out to Yellow Pages etc., and the last directory for Sheffield and Rotherham was published for 1974 (a copy of the 1974 directory recently changed hands on eBay for just over £100). I have a PDF version of the 1925 Kelly's Directory and the local books for 1931, 1937, 1941, 1954, 1957, 1965 and 1973. Some earlier ones can be viewed freely online. My books tend to get worn out and most have been rebound!.:)

Regarding the subject of the thread, the 1965 directory shows a T.A. Leigh at No 52 Gaunt Close. The marriages index shows a Thomas A. Leigh who married Mary E. Mallinson in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1937, and the births index shows a possible daughter Margaret Leigh who was born in Apr-Jun 1950.

Thanks so much for answering my question, Hillsboro.

I didn't know how the KD worked. and I was somewhat puzzled, knowing that, in 1965, at my grandparents' address, there were definitely three professional males and certainly two, possibly 3 professional females living there, all but one of these six people, certainly, being "of full age" (as they say)- this not including myself, as a minor.

I wondered why, and how, these directories were compiled, and under what criteria private persons were registers for inclusion, particularly when there was the electoral register doing the same thing.

I see the "yellow pages" side of the concept, but not the electoral register.

(I believe my maternal grandfather was registered in the KD, at his Attercliffe property, but not my grandmother, before her death, despite -from what I remember my mother said- her having her own profession as a tailoress.)

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 20:04 ----------

Oh, and, everyone:- I apologise for going off on a tangent within the thread.

......I wondered why, and how, these directories were compiled, and under what criteria private persons were registers for inclusion, particularly when there was the electoral register doing the same thing.
Well, not really... Electoral registers list everyone of voting age at each address. Kelly's showed just the householder, but their directories were much more easily available (most larger businesses had them and some bookshops sold them). As Hillsbro noted, Kelly's also gave lists of councillors and magistrates, also local societies & clubs, churches, charities, a "medical list" and other useful information. Now we have Google!:)

That daughter would have been the Maggie I knew, she probably would have been two years younger than me.

Thank you again.

At the bottom end of the second block of houses, lived the Dewsnaps and next door to them, My grandparents, all of whom were decanted from Netherthorpe (the Fawcett Street/ Summer Street area)

edit to clarify, my grandparents lived in about the second or third house up from the bottom, and the Dewsnaps in the house above theirs.

To the person who remembered Jeanette and Mark Steele's grandparents living in the first house on the block immediately behind the police station:- yes, that's correct. Their mum and dad, Maureen and Tony Steele also lived there, in the late 70s or early 80s, for some years, after moving from the bottom-floor maisonette on the block of maisonettes below where the gennell opened onto gaunt road, opposite the kidney shaped play area behind the flats on what was called "the back-field". Mark and I are the same age, and were in the same school-year. (with Jacqueline Deakin, whose mum and I shared the same birthday)

I remember "Auntie" Queenie Dewsnap, and the English Bull Terier (s) she owned.

The Palfreyman family lived around number 10 or 12, just up a way on the same block as Jeanette and Mark's grandparents.

Margaret Leigh would have been roughly the same age as my uncle Philip, if she was 17 in 1965 (Philip was born in about 1947/8 )

The dog was called Patch I think?

---------- Post added 12-02-2014 at 22:58 ----------

Here is a scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory..:)

Interesting stuff.

"Finney" was the family where Jane and Janet Wild lived.

Archived