Can an unused, brand new oven become damaged if kept in storage?

I'm looking to buy a new double oven. The one I want is £450 in John Lewis and pretty much the same price with all stockists. I've just searched on ebay and someone in Worksop is selling the exact same one for less than half the price claiming it to be brand new, unused just kept in storage as they moved in with their mum (ah bless!)

I'm not sure yet how well this has been stored, whether it's a Big Yellow kind of place or in a garage but have asked the seller a hundred questions to get a better idea.

What I need to know is whether this is likely to have suffered any potential malfunction for having not been used for a period of time. It's a dual fuel cooker if that makes a difference?

If it's been stored in a garage, outside shipping container or 'budget' storage place where the air isn't regulated then it could easily be damp which presumably will lead to problems with rust/mould etc but depends how long it's been there.

In my own experience of Ebay "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"

I'd be a bit suspicious if he has disposed of the original receipt, he must have intended using it at some stage, even new products can fail in the first 12 months.

If you decide to go ahead I would ask if he is prepared to give you a signed receipt stating that it's unused and in good working order.

The key thing would be that it will come with no guarantee, so even if it works fine, if it fails in 3 months time there will be no come back with the person who sold it.

Yes, but at least the seller would have committed himself, in writing, that the oven should work as expected at the time it is installed in its new home.

Archived