AA called out twice £100 bill unfair

A service should be done every 12 months regardless of miles driven.

Leaving it 3 years between services and moaning that the car doesn't work is pretty dumb.

I've always said 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever is sooner. Most modern cars will do upto 20,000 between services but those tend to be the ones that do 20,000 in a year.

I'd suggest a car that does very few miles is in more need of a service than one which is used regularly..

We could argue what we mean by a full service here...

...not everything needs to be done at the same time as long as each item is maintained regularly, but it obviously makes more sense for someone who knows little about cars to get everything checked at the same time by a professional during a full service.

For example, is it really necessary to change the oil every 12 months if the car only travels a couple of thousand miles a year?

I'm not an 'expert' unlike some on here... just an 'enthusiast', so I don't intend to squabble and will bow to your better judgement! ;)

Everyones expertise is different.

I know nothing about cars and my garage has never suggested a service even though I asked .

It is not dumb not everyone knows everthing baout mainitaining cars.

I am sure you have gaps in your knowledge where I could call you dumb for not knowing.

There is so much knowledge in this world we cannot know everything .

Maybe it is dumb of me but my garage is dumber for not suggesting it when I ask.

The car presumably came with a service manual, which in the front will tell you the service interval and probably the details of what each level of service means.

I'd suggest that you book it into the garage now for a full (major) service and have the brake fluid changed and timing belt, and brakes inspected.

Everyones expertise is different.

I know nothing about cars and my garage has never suggested a service even though I asked .

It is not dumb not everyone knows everthing baout mainitaining cars.

I am sure you have gaps in your knowledge where I could call you dumb for not knowing.

There is so much knowledge in this world we cannot know everything .

Maybe it is dumb of me but my garage is dumber for not suggesting it when I ask.

With all due respect I think the answer may lie in your admission that the car was only worth a few hundred pounds.

I'm sure the AA, RAC, Green Flag etc don't look too kindly on turning out to vehicles which shouldn't really be on the road.

I'm not defending them, but I believe that too many people buy a banger and then think a £50 membership to the AA will be a substitute for regular maintenance and servicing.

I'm sure the AA, RAC, Green Flag etc don't look too kindly on turning out to vehicles which shouldn't really be on the road.

I'm not defending them, but I believe that too many people buy a banger and then think a £50 membership to the AA will be a substitute for regular maintenance and servicing.

The breakdown company I use state that cover may be invalidated if I fail to follow manufacturer service schedules.

Archived