Gannister mines owned by the Bramalls

Helen1005

Thank you,Hillsbro. I see that you lived in Dykes Hall Road-do you remember any members of the Bramall family living there?
I can't actually remember any Bramalls but I think my parents might have mentioned the family. We lived near the bottom, at No 20.

The history of gannister mining in the area must be in interesting subject (maybe I should buy the book!) and I remember my dad telling me a few things about the small gannister mines at Woodland View. His grandparents lived on Carlby Road, off Stannington Road, and - copying a post I made on another thread -

One fine spring day in 1913 (according to a story passed down through the family) my great-grandmother Ann Cundey (1859-1927), who lived on Carlby Road, became only too aware of this. (i.e. the local mines) Doing her weekly wash, Ann decided to wheel the mangle and tub outside, as it was such a nice day. After an hour or so she went into the house for a cup of tea, and when she went out again the mangle was nowhere to be seen. It had fallen into a pit that opened up in her garden, a relic of the Anvil gannister mine.

I was born nearby on Low Road, and I remember that as you went up what we called the "butcher's hill" (now Middle Lane) the dry-stone wall on the right-hand side consisted mostly of rough blocks of gannister.

Archived