Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Had a bit of a re-cap weekend:

Batman: The Dark Knight - 8.5/10 - Superhero film that plays like a crime thriller, the late Heath Ledger isthe Joker, essential viewing.

Robocop (1987) - 8/10 - The original and best still packs a punch despite the occasional dated SFX.

High Plains Drifter - 8/10 - Classic 70's Western with supernatural overtones, one of Eastwoods early directorial efforts and borrows from his mentors Siegal and Leone, excellent.

And a newish one:

The Babadook - 6/10 - Reasonable Aussie horror that deserves plaudits for keeping things subtle, does lack real scares though.

Edited by top4718

Southpaw 8/10 Not just about the boxing, although the fighting is filmed very well. You can feel every punch!

Hot Pursuit 6/10 Only just ok. Most of the funny bits are covered in the trailer.

ps Forgot to say that the upstairs Bar in Cineworld is out of action. It's been completely gutted. There's just loads of scaffolding.

Edited by spats

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Turner - 9/10

Watched it on DVD the other night. Fascinating insight into the complex personality of JMW Turner during the latter years of his life. DVD had an excellent featurette on how they made the film. Timothy Spall was absolutely fantasic as the painter in question and I'm surprised he wasn't nominated for an Oscar. He aparently took a crash course in learning to paint from an art historian in the style of JMW Turner. Interesting to note that the scenes in the Royal Academy of Arts were filmed at Wentworth Woodhouse, which is not far from Sheffield. Next time I'm in London I'm tempted to visit the National Gallery just to see JMW Turners most famous paintings - The Fighting Temeraire and Rain, Wind and Speed.

Gunman - Started out ok but sort of lost its way about two thirds in, Sean Penn looks in incredible shape for his age, Ray Winston not so much but both do ok.....7/10

I give it the same score- could have been much better.

Agree on fact Sean Penn shape at 54 is very good.

Here's image from recent jog

http://www.pkbaseline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Sean_Penn_Workout.png

Poltergeist (2015) 5.5/10

Ok but lacking in so many ways compared to the first one. It's not a bad film but maybe they shouldn't have tried so hard to copy the original.

Agreed, nowhere near as good as the original and just ok.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 23:11 ----------

I give it the same score- could have been much better.

Agree on fact Sean Penn shape at 54 is very good.

Here's image from recent jog

http://www.pkbaseline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Sean_Penn_Workout.png

Wow 54, I wonder how regular he trains at his age to stay so fit.