Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Dunkirk - 7/10

Powerful, emotional, depressing, exhilarating (Spitfires) and beautiful to look at in IMAX... but it also has a soundtrack that is too loud, drowning out a fair bit of the sparse dialogue, and the decision to focus purely on a few individual vignettes and completely ignore the ferocious rearguard fighting from the French and British units sticks out like a sore thumb as an error.

I thought the soundtrack was excellent and will win an Oscar.

I thought the soundtrack was excellent and will win an Oscar.

Perhaps it was an issue with the screening then? It was a good soundtrack from what I could tell (I kept hearing it hinting at some piece of classical music, perhaps Elgar) but it was overwhelmingly loud and unrelenting.

---------- Post added 29-07-2017 at 14:57 ----------

Looking forward to typing 'Blade Runner 2049" and it was "freaking amazing"

I've seen films you people wouldn't believe...

You're a bit early aren't you? It's not out for another 3 months.

Just got back from my hols and watched loads of DVDs. SO here goes :

Denial : very interesting drama about the court case of Holocaust denier David Irving. 8.5/10

Split : not at all what I expected. Very interesting re. the power of the brain etc - but then that is my kind of thing 9/10

Get Out : new release. It's very tense and interesting but all that is good is kind of ruined in a last 20 minutes of gore. Some very funny moments though. 6 / 10

The Founder : another eye opener if you don't know (which I didn't) the story of how McDonalds came to be. Worth a watch 8/10

The Purge : Election Year : I had very low expectations of this so anything was an improvement. There was a slight storyline. 6/10

Perhaps it was an issue with the screening then? It was a good soundtrack from what I could tell (I kept hearing it hinting at some piece of classical music, perhaps Elgar) but it was overwhelmingly loud and unrelenting.

---------- Post added 29-07-2017 at 14:57 ----------

I've seen films you people wouldn't believe...

You're a bit early aren't you? It's not out for another 3 months.

I know and the wait is killing me

I went to see Dunkirk last night and I agree re. the soundtrack. It was overwhelming but I felt it hugely added to the film and built the tension to a pretty unbearable level. There aren't that many films that I've seen where the soundtrack makes such a huge difference.

The volume was too loud for my friend who sat with her fingers in her ears throughout. Certainly not a film to see if you want to relax but very good and a different take. Worth seeing - but as I said, not if you want to unwind!

I too was trying to place that piece of music at the end. I will look up Elgar - it's a very famous track but couldn't place it.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote