Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Just watched ‘Some like it Hot’ with Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, George Raft and Marilyn Monroe.

I’ve seen it before a few times since it’s release in 1959 and despite being filmed in black and white it always has me in stitches. The storyline is hilarious, the acting brilliant and what can I say about Marilyn but she’s gorgeous.

I rate it as one of the best comedy films ever made.  10/10.

echo.

3 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Just watched ‘Some like it Hot’ with Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, George Raft and Marilyn Monroe.

I’ve seen it before a few times since it’s release in 1959 and despite being filmed in black and white it always has me in stitches. The storyline is hilarious, the acting brilliant and what can I say about Marilyn but she’s gorgeous.

I rate it as one of the best comedy films ever made.  10/10.

echo.

Can’t be as good as Blazing Saddles, surely. 

On 30/11/2023 at 11:04, wearysmith said:

... the 3rd of Branagh's outing as Poirot. ...

Branagh is not Poirot.  Worst bit of narcissistic casting since tiny Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.  A fine actor and director, brilliant even, in the right role, but he's just not Poirot. 

I know they've got to keep the money rolling in through the gates of the Christie estate, hence the constant stream of reimaginings and updatings, but Suchet is the definitive Poirot.  He filmed all the Poirot stories so anything else is pretty much redundant. 

But then the newer incarnations do stray far and wide from Christie's texts, so I suppose it's pretty much have at it now.

10 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Can’t be as good as Blazing Saddles, surely. 

Mel Brooks has made some great, if zany, comedy films hackey.

I was looking at the American Film Institute’s list of comedy films and Some like it hot comes top. Blazing saddles is sixth.

Incidentally Mel Brooks has 3 films in that list as does Billy Wilder. Charlie Chaplin has four and the winning producer/director is Woody Allen with 5.

I suppose comedy, like most things in life, is subjective. What one person finds funny someone else doesn’t.

echo.

Edited by echo beach