Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

The Wailing (Goksung in Korean) 9/10

I am a huge South Korean movie fan- this one is a supernatural/thriller that will leave you scratching your head, as there are so many conclusions that can be drawn in the end.

Hope a similar movie fan on here will watch (or has seen it) that may want to offer their feedback.

The movie will grip you from start to finish and at times you will wonder 'what the hell is happening' but the experience of watching this will last for longer!

Just watched it. A 9/10 from me too. Starts out a bit like Memories of Murder but then the Korean supernatural elements start creeping in and from that point on it just gets darker and darker and the story keeps you guessing as to where it's going.

I'm a fan of Na Hong-jin previous films, 'The Chaser' and 'The Yellow Sea' and this is a quite different subject matter but done really well.

Just watched it. A 9/10 from me too. Starts out a bit like Memories of Murder but then the Korean supernatural elements start creeping in and from that point on it just gets darker and darker and the story keeps you guessing as to where it's going.

I'm a fan of Na Hong-jin previous films, 'The Chaser' and 'The Yellow Sea' and this is a quite different subject matter but done really well.

Good to hear from a fan of Na Hong/Korean films!

I also saw Memories of Murder and the others you mention- great films.

The Wailing was a slight change from the director, but as you say, the movie does go in to darker areas (and hence the subjective ending).

Minions. Awful. I might have smirked twice and didn't laugh once. Sandra bullock sounded like she was doing something else more interesting (and with that script, who would blame her). I guess the closest thing I could compare it to would be watching a box set of teletubbies with (a fairly decent) 60s compilation cd in the background. 2/10

No Country for Old Men.

6/10

Meh. Great photography, great performances, great characters. But none of it really knitted together for me - just a series of compelling vignettes.

Very true to the book, which a)surprises me and b)disappoints me because the Cohen brothers tend to play fast and loose, and sometimes don't even read the book they are 'basing' their film on (if indeed that is what they are doing in some films.)