Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

The Man from UNCLE.

Never before have I seen a film that was so satisfied with itself. This wouldn't be so bad but it contains not one iota of originality in it's entire plot. A complete waste of time.

Funnily enough I watched this last night. I quite liked it, some nice period touches here and there (albeit certain things were missing - nobody smoked!!). The plot was hardly challenging though, I'd agree with you there. A rare thing for me to say but I reckon a sequal would be better now the ground work is done but with most of the leads set for bigger things I doubt it will happen. A glossy 6.5/10.

Funnily enough I watched this last night. I quite liked it, some nice period touches here and there (albeit certain things were missing - nobody smoked!!). The plot was hardly challenging though, I'd agree with you there. A rare thing for me to say but I reckon a sequal would be better now the ground work is done but with most of the leads set for bigger things I doubt it will happen. A glossy 6.5/10.

I will say one thing; it's better than The A Team. The A Team is one of the few films I have got so bored with that I have turned it off rather than seeing through. This was with only about 25 minutes to go as well. It was that un-captivating. I wasn't in the UK at the time, I was overseas on business and it was the only thing being broadcast in English. It wasn't particularly late and I wasn't even slightly tired but I actually went to bed rather than stay up to watch the end despite there been nothing else I could watch and understand and me having little desire to sleep. Truly awful. IMHO of course!

But, I do like both Charlie's Angels films.

Jason Bourne.....4/10. It felt like one long promo from Wikileaks. Car chase at the end was about the best bit. The most annoying thing was the main characters knew about all the mega surveillance everywhere but continued to mooch about looking just like Parsons & Bourne. :loopy:

Five Pillars. 8/10

(Available on Amazon)

Puffed up score because the film had lovely shots of the ruins on Manor Lane.

The story is ok but the title points more toward Islam than the film.

Not bad, tries to cover too many issues. The poverty trap, soldier on civvy Street, washed up/reformed far right types, interracial relationship and a messy best friend pregnancy to name a few.

I Spit On Your Grave (1978) - 7/10 - One of the most famous "video nasties" is still a powerful film, the rape scenes are particularly brutal and not an easy watch, a simple film but an effective one.

The Hallow - 4.5/10 - Irish horror similar to The Descent but nowhere near as good.

The BFG - 7/10 - better than I expected, I liked the book as a child, I'm not a big fan of kids movies though. Kept me interested though, which is a result.

---------- Post added 16-08-2016 at 08:37 ----------

Jason Bourne.....4/10. It felt like one long promo from Wikileaks. Car chase at the end was about the best bit. The most annoying thing was the main characters knew about all the mega surveillance everywhere but continued to mooch about looking just like Parsons & Bourne. :loopy:

The technology and hacking was embarrassing, they should have left it out.

I thought the car chase went on for a bit too long tbh, I was starting to wonder how long they could continue it for when it stopped for no apparent reason given that the swat vehicle was behaving like a tank.

The BFG - 7/10 - better than I expected, I liked the book as a child, I'm not a big fan of kids movies though. Kept me interested though, which is a result.

I thought the car chase went on for a bit too long tbh, I was starting to wonder how long they could continue it for when it stopped for no apparent reason given that the swat vehicle was behaving like a tank.

Slightly off topic but have you read a Bourne book? I read the first and my word it was long and dull. I read the first non-Ludlum continuation novel and that was no better. I have the complete set but can't face the rest. IMHO the films are superior.

As for a film to revert to topic. The Football Factory. Boring, dull, glamourising violence tediously with little insight into anything. A hooligan film for hooligan's film sake. The book is better and very different.

Looking forward to seeing this, BFG was my favourite book growing up. Must have read it at least ten times. I can't remember much of it though so the film should be good!

Slightly off topic but have you read a Bourne book? I read the first and my word it was long and dull. I read the first non-Ludlum continuation novel and that was no better. I have the complete set but can't face the rest. IMHO the films are superior.

The books are like World War Z in that the only thing linking the film and the book is the title. The premise of the films is much more interesting even if they do keep repeating the same formula.