Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Flame and Citron 2008 9/10

Amazing Danish war drama based on true events about resistance movement in Copenhagen.

If you like war based drama with touch of noir with action I highly recommend this one.

Mads Mikklesen and Thure Lindhart are amazing, you can almost feel struggle and paranoia that surrounds them.

Silence. 2/10

An astonishingly bad movie. What is astonishing about it is that it was directed by Scorsese. I couldn't believe how dull and uninspiring it was. It has a religious theme, but watching it was like experiencing eternity, as I thought it would never end. I defy anyone to watch this movie without wanting to fall asleep. Scorsese's undoubted directorial talents seem to have deserted him in this occasion.

Now the movie explores a philosophical dilemma about whether or not the human costs of adherence to a faith are worth it. But an exploration of a moral dilemma in film does not have to be so dreadfully dull. For example, the movie Anthropoid also explored a similar moral dilemma, but did so in an engaging and gripping way.

Has Scorsese lost his touch?

The Huntsman - Winters War. Not even charlize Theron and a leatherclad Jessica chastain (and the hemsworth fella might be pleasing on the eye I suppose) could save this. Imagine a panto where everyone did crap accents on a game of thrones set and you're about there. There was half hearted attempt at humour by the dwarves - (all Brits oddly enough with regional accents) but I wasn't a fan. Back-story-cum-sequel plot, it was a bit of a mess really. 4/10

Silence. 2/10

An astonishingly bad movie. What is astonishing about it is that it was directed by Scorsese. I couldn't believe how dull and uninspiring it was. It has a religious theme, but watching it was like experiencing eternity, as I thought it would never end. I defy anyone to watch this movie without wanting to fall asleep. Scorsese's undoubted directorial talents seem to have deserted him in this occasion.

Now the movie explores a philosophical dilemma about whether or not the human costs of adherence to a faith are worth it. But an exploration of a moral dilemma in film does not have to be so dreadfully dull. For example, the movie Anthropoid also explored a similar moral dilemma, but did so in an engaging and gripping way.

Has Scorsese lost his touch?

Lets hope not as he's directed some fantastic films.

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 22:25 ----------

Supersonic - 7.5/10 - Doc about Oasis's rise to dominance in the 90's, I find the Gallaghers entertaining when speaking in a way that their sometimes turgid music doesnt move me, a good insight into what was a phenomenal progression in popularity.

They Live - 6/10 - A great John Carpenter idea that the constraints of the era it was made (the 80's) hold back a little, entertaining though.