Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

All I can say in my defence is that you must have rated the first film very highly :)

I thought the first one was about an average action movie, didn't take itself too seriously, fun.

The 2nd one took itself seriously and so became awful, tedious and not fun.

From tonight

XXX - Return of Xander Cage.

Now here's an action movie not taking itself seriously at all, and so it was amusing, if quite silly. 6.5/10

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. Seemed to be about 9 hours long and great swathes of the story were quite pointless. Over-done special effects - I know it's a superhero film but blimey, it was too much. I caught a snippet of Age of Ultron this week and that had it's fair share of explosions but this tried to top it. I'm still undecided about Afleck (although he is looking his age) and the other chap who played superman. I think they were weighed down by poor direction and a poor script. Gal Gadot perked me up a bit though and I was never a fan of Wonder Woman, she might save the franchise yet. It needs saving as it's not a patch on the Dark Knight films or even the cartoon. 6/10

Edited by tinfoilhat

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. Seemed to be about 9 hours long and great swathes of the story were quite pointless. Over-done special effects - I know it's a superhero film but blimey, it was too much. I caught a snippet of Age of Ultron this week and that had it's fair share of explosions but this tried to top it. I'm still undecided about Afleck (although he is looking his age) and the other chap who played superman. I think they were weighed down by poor direction and a poor script. Gal Gadot perked me up a bit though and I was never a fan of Wonder Woman, she might save the franchise yet. It needs saving as it's not a patch on the Dark Knight films or even the cartoon. 6/10

What amazes me is Zack Snyder hasn't made a good superhero film yet but they keep giving him the jewels in the DC crown to make a mess of.

Blood Father, with Mel Gibson back on form as an ex convict/alcoholic trying to protect his estranged daughter from a violent drugs cartel.

Good to see Mel Gibson on screen again in a meaty role. A bit too violent for my particular taste, but a rollicking good movie, which is why I'd give it 8 out of 10

Manchester by the Sea

9/10

An excellent movie - for grown ups who prefer a good, gripping, realistic story, well told. Excellent acting and a brilliant script. Very sad though.

---------- Post added 28-01-2017 at 15:20 ----------

Hacksaw Ridge

10/10

I don't think I have ever given a perfect score before, but I think the movie above deserves it. It is in my view set to become a classic of the war movie genre. Brilliant acting, brilliant directing, a moving story and great cinematography. The battle scenes reminded me of, although they surpassed, the ones in Peckinpah's 'Cross of Iron', although they are even more bloody and gory. It is based on a true story, and although I know a fair amount about WW2, I had never heard about it before. Desmond Doss, I salute you, for your unsurpassed bravery, moral courage and humanity!

Edited by NigelFargate

I'm really looking forward to T2 Trainspotting!

Also looking forward to 'Christine' - not the story of the demon car, but the true story of the presenter who killed herself live on air in America. Not exactly laugh a minute, but apparently a fascinating film nonetheless.