Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

xXx: The return of Xander Cage. This is a film for a very specific group of people. If you find the Fast and Furious franchise too subtle and nuanced, you'll like this. If you like a bunch of frankly slightly seedy middle aged running around the place with a bunch of 20-something women, you'll like this. If you really really really worship at the alter that is Vin Diesel, you'll like it. But for the rest of us, it's dreadful. Samuel L Jackson was fortunate to be blown in the first scene, even though Neymar (yes, THAT Neymar) survived only 10ft away. Frankly the script that went with that opening scene would be enough for most people to turn off - it genuinely doesn't get any better, but the masochist in me wanted to see if it got better. It didn't, if anything it got worse. Possibly the worst dialogue I've ever sat through, 2D cliched characters the one teeny highlight was the fast fists Donnie Yen. Most of the cast looked embaressed to be there (particularly the normally excellent Toni Collette - I hope she was well paid).

You knew how it would pan out ages before the end. The last action scenes near the end weren't awful but most of the dead bodies (and there were a few) seemed to disappear from the inevitably abandoned warehouse - just like a video game. How apt. The first one was hardly citizen Kane but it killed a couple of hours, the pace was better, the script was better and the male leads were nearly 20 years younger and not half as creepy. It was right for its time. The sequel isn't good for anything. 2/10

xXx: The return of Xander Cage. This is a film for a very specific group of people. If you find the Fast and Furious franchise too subtle and nuanced, you'll like this. If you like a bunch of frankly slightly seedy middle aged running around the place with a bunch of 20-something women, you'll like this. If you really really really worship at the alter that is Vin Diesel, you'll like it. But for the rest of us, it's dreadful. Samuel L Jackson was fortunate to be blown in the first scene, even though Neymar (yes, THAT Neymar) survived only 10ft away. Frankly the script that went with that opening scene would be enough for most people to turn off - it genuinely doesn't get any better, but the masochist in me wanted to see if it got better. It didn't, if anything it got worse. Possibly the worst dialogue I've ever sat through, 2D cliched characters the one teeny highlight was the fast fists Donnie Yen. Most of the cast looked embaressed to be there (particularly the normally excellent Toni Collette - I hope she was well paid).

You knew how it would pan out ages before the end. The last action scenes near the end weren't awful but most of the dead bodies (and there were a few) seemed to disappear from the inevitably abandoned warehouse - just like a video game. How apt. The first one was hardly citizen Kane but it killed a couple of hours, the pace was better, the script was better and the male leads were nearly 20 years younger and not half as creepy. It was right for its time. The sequel isn't good for anything. 2/10

Rubbish movie, but then I find Vin Diesel repulsive, the only thing he seems to be good at is blubbering over his talentless mate Paul Walker.

Rubbish movie, but then I find Vin Diesel repulsive, the only thing he seems to be good at is blubbering over his talentless mate Paul Walker.

Most of the stuff he does seems limited to fast and furious, the Riddick series and now this awful sequel or I am groot. He seems a magnet for awful scripts. The best I've seen him in was A Man Apart, I quite enjoyed that. Still lots of violence, but a modicum of depth.

Banlieue 13 (District 13) - Seen it a few times before, but I do enjoy it. 7/10

- preposterous but enjoyable French action movie with guns, goons, drugs, nukes, parkour, and lots of punches that sound like car doors slamming. Great buddy movie too. But, yes, preposterous.

Banlieue 13 Ultimatum - the sequel - is *even* more preposterous, and even more enjoyable for it.