Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Watched some on a long flight:

Once Upon A Time In The West - 8/10 - Fantastic Western from the master of them Sergio Leone.

Bonnie & Clyde - 7/10 - 60's telling of the story of the infamous bank robbing couple.

The French Connection - 8/10 - Lean, gritty cop movie that never lets up.

Happened to catch The Leopard (1963, Visconti) on broadcast while on hols recently, the French 195mins version (part Italian with subs, part dubbed) in HD.

A movie like they just don't make anymore. Chockfull of masterclass-giving actors (Lancaster, Delon, Cardinale); brimming with visual flourish; twisting and turning about each character's personality, motives and ambitions.

Forget all the DonCorleone stuff, that movie makes you live and breathe historical Sicily for 3 hours, like Attenborough takes you down coral reefs and oceanic depths.

Just pure cinematic bliss, 9/10 (I only have one 10/10 for Visconti, and that's reserved for The Damned).

I read the novel on which it's based recently but not seen the film, thanks for the tip

Cruel Summer starring Emmerdales Danny Miller (Aaron Dingle). This is a story about a young lad with Autism who is targeted by three other kids after a nasty rumour outrages them, they follow the lad into the retreat of the woods where he goes to find peace and quiet, what follows is mindless brutality.

The film is well shot and well acted but the storyline left me numb, it seemed so pointlessly violent I simply would never watch it again, in fact I wouldnt even recommend it to anyone because I dont know anyone who could take anything of any use from this movie, it also falls into the horror category but for the life of me I cannot see where.

Two scores, 7.5/10 for the acting, 1/10 for how I felt after seeing it.

Cruel Summer starring Emmerdales Danny Miller (Aaron Dingle). This is a story about a young lad with Autism who is targeted by three other kids after a nasty rumour outrages them, they follow the lad into the retreat of the woods where he goes to find peace and quiet, what follows is mindless brutality.

The film is well shot and well acted but the storyline left me numb, it seemed so pointlessly violent I simply would never watch it again, in fact I wouldnt even recommend it to anyone because I dont know anyone who could take anything of any use from this movie, it also falls into the horror category but for the life of me I cannot see where.

Two scores, 7.5/10 for the acting, 1/10 for how I felt after seeing it.

I almost watched this a couple of nights ago but the storyline sounded so awful and upsetting I couldnt bring myself to. Im glad I didnt now.

Thanks for the review Mickey.

I almost watched this a couple of nights ago but the storyline sounded so awful and upsetting I couldnt bring myself to. Im glad I didnt now.

Thanks for the review Mickey.

It was upsetting nikki but for all the wrong reasons a movie should be, I know there is more pointless violence in a slasher or zombie movie but you can switch your brain off for a while to enjoy those movies for what they are, this one however fills such a strange and obviously real genre I was unable to do that, I have had to learn all about Autism and Aspergers for reasons I won't go in to on what is after all a movie thread, maybe its because of that I found it such painful viewing.

:)

Dam I'm getting more sensitive the older I get, I always hoped I wouldnt.

That Awkward Moment: 3/10 (and that's being kind; avoid it).

Out of the furnace: 4/10. Very violent.

The Armstrong Lie: 6/10. A bit boring after a while but still revelatory.

Lone survivor: 5/10. Moral dilemmas explored passably well.

I Frankenstein: 8/10. By far the best of the bunch, although not in the least resembling RLS's book!

With those low scores why aren’t you more discerning when selecting your films ?

Hours of your life you’ll not get back

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 19:27 ----------

Watched some on a long flight:

Once Upon A Time In The West - 8/10 - Fantastic Western from the master of them Sergio Leone.

Bonnie & Clyde - 7/10 - 60's telling of the story of the infamous bank robbing couple.

The French Connection - 8/10 - Lean, gritty cop movie that never lets up.

Christ ! How old are you 15 ?

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 19:38 ----------

The Florida Project (2017)

Ultimately upsetting story of a six year old and her mother who “ exist” in one room in a Project, presumably the name for low quality social housing in the shadows of Florida’s Disney Land.

William Dafoe is superb as manager of the Project in what has been described as a “ career best”. Given his performance in Apocalypse Now alongside Marlon Brando that’s some claim.

Heartbreaking scene at the end where the police and Social Workers arrive to take the child into care and she runs off to her only friend and bursts into tears as she tells her she’ll never see her again.

Last shot is the pair running together into Disney Land the Magic Kingdom, a shot which the Director did illegally, poverty and extreme wealth living side by side “ The American Dream”

Hard hitting and highly political without being overtly so.

Out Ken Loaches Ken Loach

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 19:59 ----------

Seen recently

À Haut voix

French documentary about a public speaking competition the Université de St Denis holds each year

Superb. ( Loob, other Francophones )

The Party.

Black comedy, drama, set in two rooms of a house, Timothy Spall, Kirsten Scott Thomas. et al.

Film about vanity, ambition, infidelity. Of particular interest to rapidly ageing old lefties like me who are familiar with the narrative.

Great twist at the end

Bladerunner ( 2017). Just wow !

Detroit.

Disappointed with this one, surprised given Director Katherine Bigelows great film about the murder/ assassination of Bin Laden.

Don’t don’t don’t believe the hype

With those low scores why aren’t you more discerning when selecting your films ?

Hours of your life you’ll not get back

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 19:27 ----------

Christ ! How old are you 15 ?

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 19:38 ----------

The Florida Project (2017)

Ultimately upsetting story of a six year old and her mother who “ exist” in one room in a Project, presumably the name for low quality social housing in the shadows of Florida’s Disney Land.

William Dafoe is superb as manager of the Project in what has been described as a “ career best”. Given his performance in Apocalypse Now alongside Marlon Brando that’s some claim.

Heartbreaking scene at the end where the police and Social Workers arrive to take the child into care and she runs off to her only friend and bursts into tears as she tells her she’ll never see her again.

Last shot is the pair running together into Disney Land the Magic Kingdom, a shot which the Director did illegally, poverty and extreme wealth living side by side “ The American Dream”

Hard hitting and highly political without being overtly so.

Out Ken Loaches Ken Loach

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 19:59 ----------

Seen recently

À Haut voix

French documentary about a public speaking competition the Université de St Denis holds each year

Superb. ( Loob, other Francophones )

The Party.

Black comedy, drama, set in two rooms of a house, Timothy Spall, Kirsten Scott Thomas. et al.

Film about vanity, ambition, infidelity. Of particular interest to rapidly ageing old lefties like me who are familiar with the narrative.

Great twist at the end

Bladerunner ( 2017). Just wow !

Detroit.

Disappointed with this one, surprised given Director Katherine Bigelows great film about the murder/ assassination of Bin Laden.

Don’t don’t don’t believe the hype

What????

For the record Willem Defoe wasn't in Apocalypse Now, he was in Platoon though.