Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

• 2 weeks later...

Skyline  - 5.5/10

&

Beyond Skyline - 5/10

Skyline was one of a spate of semi-cheap alien invasion movies that came out in the wake of Cloverfield. This one is about a group of people who wake up after a party to find huge spaceships have appeared and are abducting everyone with a hypnotic blue light and anyone who escapes that light is getting grabbed by flying drones.

The actors are mostly unknowns and the script is bad but the effects manage to drag the film up to 'so bad it's good' territory.

Beyond Skyline is a belated sequel with a slightly higher budget that got spent on hiring a few recognisable faces like Frank Grillo. It starts off in the same city and invasion as the first movie but for no other reason than that they needed an excuse to cast half the cast of The Raid they are suddenly in Laos and the unstoppable aliens of the first movie are now vulnerable to bullets, knives and getting kicked by martial arts experts.

There's another one of these movies but it's set in space and we're invading them and I think I need to be drunk before I attempt to watch it.

Zack Snyder's Justice League 8/10

The Snyder cut...and damn long at 4 hrs😑

But it is much better than the earlier cinematic released version and worth catching.

Godzilla v Kong (it might be Kong v Godzilla)

oh boy, I've been waiting for this since Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 2019.

Was it worth the wait?

Is it any good?

Well, the bad news is that the film is all over the place with its dialogue and script.

I can't tell if I'm supposed to be watching a comedy, a spy-kids movie, or a monster film.

Fortunately, the film is saved by the amazing fight scenes.

Unlike Godzilla 2014 or Godzilla KotM, where the fight scenes take place in the dark, or off-screen, or under the sea, or are obscured by smoke and debris, GvK (it might be KvG) has some breathtaking fight scences.

The fight scenes are loud, punchy, in your face, and highly destructive.

Much thought and care has gone into the fight choreography, with both Godzilla and Kong using their strengths tactically in a number of one-on-one fights, with both the US Naval forces and the citizens of Hong Kong used as the boxing ring.

If you're a fan of the DC Monsterverse, and you've been eagerly waiting to watch a giant monkey punch a giant lizard in the face, then I can categorically tell you the fight scenes have been worth the wait and they live up to the hype.

My rating:

5/10 for the film

11/10 for the fight scenes

Edited by The Joker

8 hours ago, The Joker said:

Godzilla v Kong (it might be Kong v Godzilla)

My rating:

5/10 for the film

11/10 for the fight scenes

You are considerably more generous to this film than I am. I wouldn't give it more than a 3/10 and most of that is for the VFX guys making the CGI ape a better actor than 90% of the cast.