Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Lot of time for this flick. Watched it this morning on Sky. At first it comes across as a bit transparent. It isn't. Twists I saw coming and twists I didn't. Carey Mulligan's low-key Fatal Attraction moves are believable. Nice little short roles for Alfred Molina and Connie Britton.

As a mate offered "...the reviews warned you not to blink..". Quite clever for him, that.  

Recommended. 8/10. Loses marks for including Paris Hilton on the soundtrack 🙂.

image.png

Slap Shot - 9/10

Paul Newman sports comedy about the aging player coach of a failing ice hockey team that's about to go out of business. To encourage more enthusiasm from both his players and the local fans he starts to encourage his teammates to embrace the violent side of the game.

Been a fair few years since I last saw this but it had me howling with laughter just like the last time I saw it. The Hanson brothers are just comedy gold.

Love and monsters. Coming of age drama, our protagonist leaves his post apocalyptic bunker to meet back up with his best gal, while dodging monsters. Entirely predictable but not a bad watch. 6/10.

Greenland. More post apocalyptic shenanigans with Gerard butler leading possibly the world's stupidist family to a survival bunker, eventually in Greenland. Hugely frustrating at times (which, perhaps the writers were trying to capture) but it had some nice twists and butler and lovely morena baccarine were solid enough. I quite liked the ending too. Scrapes a 7/10

Nobody   8.5/10

This movie is 90 mins pure adrenaline..a proper old school action film with shooting galore.

A quiet family man who leads a very mundane life, who appears to have no ambition or connection with his family- awakens his 'inner self' when he happens to cross paths with the Russian mob.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail on Netflix last week! 9/10.

"I pass wind in your general direction, your Mother was a Hamster, and your Father smells of Eldeberries" :lol: 

Still one of THE funniest lines in British comedy ever!

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse  - 5/10

(Amazon Prime)

Firstly, this is Without Remorse (the novel) in the same way that Brad Pitt's World War Z is the same as Max Brook's novel - they share a title, maybe a few character names and a very basic concept but apart from that there is nothing remotely similar about them and the film is all the worse for it because the novel Without Remorse is excellent and I've been waiting 25 years for someone to film it.

Instead we get this generic geopolitical action thriller with a silly plot, phoned-in acting and some confusing direction in what they clearly hope will become the start of a Rainbow Six franchise.

It's not a terrible film and has some decent action and maybe someone who is less invested in the character and who isn't so disappointed about the waste of a good story will rate it higher but that someone isn't me.