Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

35 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

Another reason is that since 2010 European countries, including the UK, banned the export of certain chemicals to the US on ethical ground because they were only being used for lethal injections. This created a shortage in the US and prevent them from carrying out executions. In recent years certain US states have resorted to bring back electric chairs and firing squads.

I remember reading that some US states couldn't get their hands hands on certain chemicals, so they had to resort to substitutes that didn't work quite as well; instead of giving the prisoner a quick death, they gave a slower, more agonising death instead.

But did they actially reinstate the firing squads?

10 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I remember reading that some US states couldn't get their hands hands on certain chemicals, so they had to resort to substitutes that didn't work quite as well; instead of giving the prisoner a quick death, they gave a slower, more agonising death instead.

But did they actially reinstate the firing squads?

It was reported yesterday that South Carolina are in the process of reinstating them now after a court ordered that prisoners should have the option because the electric chair is considered too cruel...

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

15 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

It was reported yesterday that South Carolina are in the process of reinstating them now after a court ordered that prisoners should have the option because the electric chair is considered too cruel...

the prisoners can choose their execution method?   Now that's what I call Freedom.

2 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

It's due to the time required to go through all the legal avenues for appealing against a death sentence. Since the 1970s about 180 people given a death sentence have later been exonerated by new evidence.

Another reason is that since 2010 European countries, including the UK, banned the export of certain chemicals to the US on ethical ground because they were only being used for lethal injections. This created a shortage in the US and prevent them from carrying out executions. In recent years certain US states have resorted to bring back electric chairs and firing squads.

Interesting. 

Still, I do recall reading that in terms of the lethal injection not being 'ethical' especially if the substance used was not as effective - why should the one facing death be given a less painful ending.

The argument from some corners, was that these murderers never gave their victims a choice.

On 18/06/2021 at 23:25, Mr Fisk said:

Interesting. 

Still, I do recall reading that in terms of the lethal injection not being 'ethical' especially if the substance used was not as effective - why should the one facing death be given a less painful ending.

The argument from some corners, was that these murderers never gave their victims a choice.

Because "we" are better humans than "them"

The Good, The Bad, The Weird - 8/10

Korean 'western', loosely homaging Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns and set just before the start of WW2, about three men in the wilderness of Manchuria who compete with each other to possess a map to the buried treasure of the Qing Dynasty.

Haven't watched this one in years, forgot how much fun it is.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

"The Ice Road" on Netflix/Amazon starring Liam Neeson...  5/10  and billed as a nail biting thriller.

Not much in the way of action or thrills and more like a B movie. Should have had a bottle of wine as I may have enjoyed it more! 

4 hours ago, ChrisIB said:

Boss level 9/10

An unexpected gem, Frank Grillo, Mel Gibson in a scifi cross between Groundhog day and Edge of tomorrow

Isn't Edge of Tomorrow just a scifi version of Groundhog Day?

I'll give Boss Level a watch, since I thought Edge of Tomorrow* and Groundhog Day were both good films.

*apart from the stupid love story they tried to squeeze in