Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Across the Universe (2007)

Not sure where this one's been hiding.

Jude, Shipyard worker (Liverpool) & result of  his mothers wartime romance with a GI decides to go and find his dad.

Probably not as good as the 2019 film 'Yesterday', 'Across the Universe'  takes you on a mixed up journey of (1960's) characters and well known moments in history that are totally devoid of authenticity. (I know it's a musical but come on a Hendrix-esk character playing guitar righthanded! shouldn't be allowed :nono:

Other than that, what starts as a 'boy meets girl' story intermingled with people dropping into Beatle songs at any given moment, becomes a little too drawn out, shame because it is worth watching for what is generally a feel good factor film  6.5/10.

Was nice to see Joe Cocker giving it some busking in't underground.

Excellently filmed, and Yankee cars to die for.

Keep safe out there 8).

WJJPRGh.jpg

8 out of 10.

Lady Gaga IS Lady Macbeth. 

'A'-list cast includes Pacino and Irons.

Loses a couple of marks as

a) you've seen most of the film in the promo ads and...

b) Perhaps it's a little over long.

Best thing Gaga's ever done I reckon. I'd say it's a twisty-turny film full of depth, but as it's an actual true story most people will be aware of the facts. Therefore there's very little in the way of surprises. Unfortunately for Adam Driver, in this film, the force isn't with him.

Poor turn out at Cineworld though. Less than 30 in. Shame. Needs to be seen on the Big Screen as Ridley Scott doesn't make small screen films. 

Belfast (2021).

Filmed in black and white coz that's how things were in 1969 :huh:

Excellently filmed, cast, acting and storyline.

Falls flat for me,

shame, because the film does capture some of the tension on the streets and how family's were affected.

Can't put my finger on why it fails but 6/10 seams reasonable.

Worth watching.

Jude Hill - as  Buddy - up and coming young actor - best of luck to the lad.

Caitriona Balfe as Buddy's mother - Clair Fraser Outlander & the excellent Ford v Ferrari 

Jamie Dornan as Buddy's dad - Irish actor Musician. 

(the almost unrecognisable)  Judi Dench as Buddy's grandmother. 

Ciaran Hinds as Buddy's grandad - Harry Potter etc, etc. 

Colin Morgan as the bad guy - Merlin.

Jamie Dornan plays the often not there, working in England, most of the time, father of Buddy.

Something that was synonymous of the time. 

Keep safe enjoy 8).

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Man Of Steel

I’m not a fan of Superman films but I enjoyed this one.  Russell Crowe is in the film, that’s why I watched it.

It’s a long film so pleased I recorded it so I could stop it half way through to have a break.

7/10

Man of Steel, agreed excellent  film along with Superman and Lois which  is streaming  on BBC i Player.   :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Man of Steel, agreed excellent  film along with Superman and Lois which  is streaming  on BBC i Player.   :thumbsup:

I’ve just  started to watch Superman and Lois on i Player, decided to give it a go because  I enjoyed the film, I’m on the third episode.  It’s not bad, it just seems strange that their two  sons are in it.  

43 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’ve just  started to watch Superman and Lois on i Player, decided to give it a go because  I enjoyed the film, I’m on the third episode.  It’s not bad, it just seems strange that their two  sons are in it.  

I think its a good  idea to show a version of him and Lois several years on and how he deals with his position around family life,  i'm a bit confused with the baddies with special powers turning up every five minuets, but it's a new slant on previous series and films we have seen, personally I find this version quite interesting, the Americans never let us down with their acting ability,  all these actors are unknown but Hollywood standard.

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

I think its a good  idea to show a version of him and Lois several years on and how he deals with his position around family life,  i'm a bit confused with the baddies with special powers turning up every five minuets, but it's a new slant on previous series and films we have seen, personally I find this version quite interesting, the Americans never let us down with their acting ability,  all these actors are unknown but Hollywood standard.

I was I bit confused on episode 3 the last one I watched when someone with special powers turned up.  I was wondering if he was from the same planet as Superman?   Hopefully we might find out at the end of the series who they are.