Natural Born Killers (1994).

Kalifornia (1993).

wickedly weird  :blush: .

Yeah seen them both but not for a while

I might watch Kalifornia tonight....good movie

We watched Cape Fear (8/10) a few weeks ago

Its sooooooo good

3 hours ago, wearysmith said:

I'd a hankering to watch the old Lily Tomlin/Steve Martin movie 'All Of Me'. Had an intensive search through Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sky, poor man's telly etc and couldnae find it. Ne'er mind.

BUT; found some great stuff worthy of a revisit on Star. As such, the beloved and I had a bit of an 80s weekend.

First up; 'Grosse Pointe Blank'. Easily my favourite Minnie Driver film. Visually, she is luscious. The scene early on when you just see only her lips in profile speaking into a radio mic stays with healthy male heterosexuals forever. Trust me on this.

Film's filled with dry observations on the cheapness of life and the toe-curling embarrassment of school reunions.  Cusack, who many would accuse of being a one-trick pony (as he only ever plays John Cusack), breaths life into a somewhat cynical character who is not defined by the number of people he's killed.

Although it loses points from me for Ackroyd's rushed delivery of lines, it picks those points up again through its magnificent soundtrack; Violent Femmes, Bowie, Faith No More, The Beat, The Clash, The Specials, Siouxsie & the Banshees and Echo & the Bunnymen.        8/10

AALtM9P.jpg

Next up, 'Stakeout'. Not quite as funny as we remembered it, but easily passes and hour and a half pleasantly enough. Great in-joke scene; Estevez & Dreyfuss are holed up in a dilapidated bedroom watching a woman who lives across the street. They pass the tedious stakeout hours by playing a 'What film?' game. Estevez says "We're gonna need a bigger boat...". Dreyfuss just looks at him and offers a sarcastic "Oh please....". 

Great to see an extremely young Aidan Quinn. Whatever happened to him? 😀

Madeleine Stowe's best film? Probably. 

6/10. Loses marks for the unfunny stray cat thrown into a car 'joke'. Bad form chaps.

oPnvI6F.jpg 

Next up, a couple of Beverly Hills Cop films.

I never quite got the love for GPB agree on the soundtrack though, the first two BHC films are great, don't bother after those two though.

17 hours ago, top4718 said:

I never quite got the love for GPB agree on the soundtrack though, the first two BHC films are great, don't bother after those two though.

We've seen them all before but are just doing a nostalgia-watch session.

Seeing them again, I don't even think there needed to be a 2nd BHC film. Huge drop in quality from the first.

19 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Yeah seen them both but not for a while

I might watch Kalifornia tonight....good movie

We watched Cape Fear (8/10) a few weeks ago

Its sooooooo good

Never been able to take 'Cape Fear' seriously since......

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=HMS+Pinefore+-+The+Simpsons&&view=detail&mid=821D20C3E511F7586307821D20C3E511F7586307&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DHMS%2BPinefore%2B-%2BThe%2BSimpsons%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

The Courier - 7/10

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Greville Wynne, the businessman recruited by the CIA and MI6 to travel to Moscow and become a courier for Oleg Penkovsky, the KGB Colonel who decided to betray the Soviet Union and pass information to the West in the hope of preventing nuclear war in the years prior to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

32 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

The Courier - 7/10

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Greville Wynne, the businessman recruited by the CIA and MI6 to travel to Moscow and become a courier for Oleg Penkovsky, the KGB Colonel who decided to betray the Soviet Union and pass information to the West in the hope of preventing nuclear war in the years prior to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I also watched this tonight and would agree with your score, its a decent enough watch.

On 13/02/2022 at 23:17, Jack Grey said:

Nightmare Alley - 6/10

Beautifully shot neo-noir style, great direction from Guillermo del Toro and awesome performances.

Unfortunately, way too long and it was boring in many parts.

Ending was great but it didn't make up for how much of a slog it was in said parts.

6/10 for me too.

Largely agree with this apart from it being boring. It never bored me but the protagonist is just too unlikeable (deliberately, great performance by Bradley Cooper) to make it a film that I can say I really enjoyed. Could definitely have done with being 20 minutes shorter.

36 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Just watched (again) what I consider to be one of the best films ever made , The Magnificent Seven ,  faultless . 10/10 . Would have scored it higher but you cant 

I concur. A genuine classic. I scoff at those who insist the Japanese original was better.