Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Moonage Daydream - 6 out of 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWDaKIvIVwU&ab_channel=MovieTrailers%2FMovieClips-Cinema%2CStreaming%2C

A few minor quibbles. Machine-gun images blasted at you throughout. So much so that on occasions I closed my eyes as it was too intense.
Footage is repeated, which is an absolute joke when you think how many times Bowie's been captured on film.
None of his many many collaborators get a mention, other than Eno.
The 'Black Tie White Noise', 'Tonight' and Tin Machine years are totally ignored, as are most of the early Anthony Newley albums. Clearly didn't fit in with the director's vision.   
Less than 15 people in the room even though it was the only screening of the day. It's definitely not caught the public's imagination.
Parts dragged. I think I fell asleep around 'Word On A Wing'.

However, in amongst the sometimes cod-philosophy there are genuine insights that make him so human. This is obvious, mostly from the time of the Russell Harty 'Ziggy' interview to his frame of mind around the Glass Spider material. It feels like at times he genuinely didn't know what he wanted. That seemed strange as we often think of Bowie as someone who had a fallback plan for when he bored of something.
I was actually singing along to the live footage of 'Let's Dance' and 'Wild-Eyed Boy From Freecloud'.
Interesting selection of tracks/versions of songs.
I scanned closely the footage of the audience entering and wandering the corridors of Earl's Court Arena. Couldn't spot me or my mates. Yeah, he was there for a few nights, I know, but wouldn't seeing my 19 year old self at the gig have been a vibe? 😀  

No desire to see it at the cinema again, even though the sound was spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...

Togo

A homeless elderly man who sleeps on the street where he cleans cars for a living is approached by drug dealers.  They want him to sell drugs on the street where he works,

but he refuses.  The drug dealers try to make things very awkward for Togo but they have picked on the wrong man.

It’s a vigilante film and the end of the film is predictable, but I enjoyed it.

7/10

"Mrs Harris Goes To Paris'.  Stars Lesley Manville; Jason Issacs & a number of French actors / actress. 

"Mrs Harris Goes To Paris'.  Stars Lesley Manville; Jason Issacs & a number of French actors / actress. 

Saw it yesterday at the Curzon Cinema, just off the High St, & it was pleasant way to spend a couple of hours, mainly watching a film set in Paris in the midst of a bin strike, 'crucial sub-plot to tidy up loose ends in the final few minutes of the film), in the early 1950's, about a London cleaner, and who dreams of owning a Christian Dior, haute couture dress.

A romantic, light comedy drama, with Mrs Harris, (Lesley Manville's character), initially dismissed by the Dior staff & minor French aristocracy as a 'invisible nobody' not worthy of the dress she disires but wins everyone over with her British working class attitude & of course finds love,  not with the French Count but the local London bookie, she's known for ages.

Better than your average, feel good film.  7.75 / 10 .  Destined to be a Boxing Day night film at some stage. 

Edited by Baron99

Crimes of the Future

Science fiction body horror from David Cronenberg.

It’s an interesting concept but it’s not as deeply explored as it could be. 
Slightly disappointing really, it could’ve been so much better.

6/10

86j8xM6.jpg

'Over Her Dead Body' (2008) - 6/10

Playful enough fluff on NETFLIX.  

Eva Longoria Bastón basically plays a ghost version of her Desperate Housewives character. Hardly a stretch.  Throws a mardy and won't let her still-living hubby move on. Haunts a psychic, a likeable Lake Bell (Boston Legal), to prevent her from hooking up with a pre-Ant Man Paul Rudd (her ex). There's also a warm yet fleeting appearance by W. Morgan Sheppard as a priest. I expected Exorcist jokes but they didn't materialise.

Predictable. Nothing remotely scary. You could let the grandkids watch it. 

Edited by wearysmith