Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

'Holidate' - easily an 8.

A spin on the usual Xmas tosh. It's very knowing. Well scripted and the two leads are excellent. I didn't know it till after I'd watched it that the female lead, Emma Roberts, is related to Julia Roberts. The way she plays this character is very Buffy (series 3). I see a lot Gellar in her. The male lead, Luke Bracey, recently appeared in Baz Luhrmann's 'Elvis'.   Visually, they're well matched.

Two strangers agree to be each other's date at holiday time. So far, so so-so... But, throw in a slutty friend of the family who deliberately picks up known losers, a sister who is unfaithful, a character who s***s herself on a night out and someone who blows their finger off in a male-bonding exercise.  You're definitely not watching bloody 'Elf' or 'White Christmas'. It's very much an adult take.

I found it refreshing.

ipaHkQg.jpg

Edited by wearysmith

• 2 weeks later...

Let Him Go

A retired sheriff, played by Kevin Costner, and his wife grieving over the death of there only son, set out to rescue their young  grandson after their daughter in law remarries into a violent family.

A bit slow for me at times, but it wasn’t bad.  Some nice scenery tho, the film was set in America in the early 1960s. 

7/10

Edited by hauxwell

Where the Crawdads sing.

Murder (?) Mystery, courtroom drama.

based on Delila Owens book of the same name.

Excellent (feel good?) film.

No rat-a-tat-tat of Machine guns or car chases,

some adult scenes, poverty and inhumanity but other than that one of the better films of the year.

No Spoiler but hang on in there till the end.

Was going 8 but gonna be Generous 9/10 

We enjoyed it 8) 👱‍♀️

Slumberland (Netflix PG)

Well, I don't know where my Dad is but if this is PG, I'd gladly sit down with my Mam to watch it 🤣

What a film ✔️

Apparently based on some comic strip called 'Little Nemo in Slumberland'

We don't do 'Comic strip' so have never heard of this, but again 'What a film'.

100 mile an hour entertainment from start to finish.

Probably the best thing we've watched this year.

No rat-a-tat of machine guns, just amazing 'Cinematography', 'Humour' and nail-biting 'family entertainment' throughout.

Could this be one of the best 'Christmas Films' ever?  

We'd say so.

Grandkids 'll love it.

We're certainly going to watch it again, there's so much happening all the time, we must have missed something.

Full 10/10 from us.

Treat the kids,

Ignore the critics 

Enjoy 8)

Edited by Rockers rule
-

Pinocchio

It’s a new version on Netflix but I’m not sure if this film is suitable for small children. This version is by Guillermo del Tor who I have never heard of before. I wouldn’t say it was a remake of the old Disney film. This version is more dark and satire it also touches on the rise of fascism under Mussolini. It lost its way in parts but towards the end it picked up.

6/10

20 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Pinocchio

It’s a new version on Netflix but I’m not sure if this film is suitable for small children. This version is by Guillermo del Tor who I have never heard of before. I wouldn’t say it was a remake of the old Disney film. This version is more dark and satire it also touches on the rise of fascism under Mussolini. It lost its way in parts but towards the end it picked up.

6/10

Guillermo Del Toro is well known for making dark films