Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Lot of time for 'Your Christmas Or Mine?'   Guess I'd give it a 7.

A young couple jump trains to be with each other over Christmas. They both end up at the home of their beloved's parents. Rich kids meets ordinary working class family, down-to-Earth lass meets her beau's dad - a Lord.

Typical fish-out-of-water seasonal nonsense, but perfect for this time of year.

A few names worth mentioning. Daniel Mays, who some will recall as the Devil's emissary in the final series of 'Ashes To Ashes', comes over convincingly as a wheelin' and dealin' Cockerny geezah. Angela Griffin, ('Mount Pleasant',  'Midsomer Murders', 'Waterloo Road') gets grins as his long-suffering wife.

I'd watch it again.

NZIJwfL.jpg

On 13/11/2022 at 20:17, Baron99 said:

'The Banshees of Inisherin', starring Colin Farrell & Brenda Gleeson. 

Very dark, (literally when the plot takes characters into their tiny cottages & the pub), drama but with comedy moments, usually brought about by the dialogue & Irish idiosyncrasies. 

Set in a small rural farming community on an island off the west coast of Ireland in 1923.  The story revolves round the sudden break up of the friendship between Farrell & Gleeson's characters, when Gleeson decides that Farrell is an idiot & they no longer have anything meaningful to say to each other. 

When Farrell tries to rekindle the relationship, Gleeson, who's character is an accomplished fiddle player, usually found playing in the pub, Gleeson gives Farrell an ultimatum; if he doesn't stop bothering him, everytime he does, Gleeson will cut off one of his own fingers.  

Good supporting cast & a donkey belonging to Farrell:s character, crucial to the plot, provide some lighter comedy moments. 

The film isn't a good as the last pairing of Farrell & Gleeson in 'In Bruges' but its a very original storyline & we'll acted. 

Film on 4 had a hand in the production so expect to see it on tv some time in 2023 / 24.

7/10 for originality. 

Wondered how they'd make a full film about a guy falling out with his mate but enjoyed it and funny in places,like you said not as good as in Bruges but worth a watch.

The Fabelmans 

Semi autobiographic (way too long) story based on Spielberg's early life and entry into the world of filming.

Well filmed (of course), lots of 50's & 60's American automobiles (:thumbsup:)

Certainly captures the essence of the 1950's & 60's but the thing is just too long ☹️.

Worth watching but low 6/10 from me ☹️

I watched 'Glass Onion' last night too. 8/10.

Great to hear 2 Bowie songs, 'Star' and 'Starman' on the soundtrack.

Like the first one, a marvellous ensemble. However, if you've seen the first movie you know nothing you see is as it seems. The twists and turns and reveals are not unexpected. Still enjoyable though.

Features 2 of my favourite actresses Kathryn Hahn and Kate Hudson who are suitably arch throughout.

The last 10 minutes are particularly enjoyable. Smashing, really.

gnpaJYe.jpg

Edited by wearysmith