Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

'Killers of the Flower Moon' starring Robert de Niro & Leonardo de Caprio. 

It's a story of racism, deceit & greed, based on a real story of a series of murders in Oklahoma in the 1920's of approximately 60 Osage native Americans.

The Osage were moved between a number of sites but eventually located by the US Federal Govt. to scrub land in Oklahoma with tribe members given parcels of land.  The Osage had no property rights but they did negotiate mineral rights for the scrub land.  A few years later, vast oil deposits were found & they & their heirs became some of the richest people in the US.  Its at this point, uncle, (de Niro), 'suggests' his nephew, (de Caprio), ingratiates himself with one of the local Osage women who he eventually marries, giving him a claim to the oil, should anything happen to her.  A number of other white Americans also do the same, then mysterious deaths begin to happen to the Osage.  I'll not give the rest of the plot away. 

At 3 & half hours, you certainly get your money's worth with this film, although the first hour or so, does drag a bit but then the pace picks up. 

8 / 10.

The Marvels.     From me, a 10. From my mate Ted, probably less than half that.

Why? 

Because I like fast-paced action, interweaving stories with a solid dollop of comedy. And I've been immersed in Marvel lore since I was 7.

However, as my mate Ted doesn't have Disney's Marvel channel he'd not seen WandaVision, Secret Wars nor the Ms Marvel series. You needed to have been aware of the plotlines of all three. He wasn't. Hence he was totally confused. I get that.

Some quotes that made me giggle: “STOP RUNNING AND LET THE KITTENS EAT YOU. YOU WILL BE FINE.”

and "O captain, my captain...."

and “IF THIS IS ALL TOP-SECRET INFORMATION, WHY IS IT ON A CLEAR CASE?”

and "Okay, no more touching ****. Especially glowing, mysterious ****....."

For any that's interested, it's LOADS better than recent Marvel efforts, Black Panther 2 and the Eternals. Thank the Lord.

Z0Fq0Rx.png

'She Came To Me' - 9/10

The director Rebecca Miller has obviously studied A LOT of Woody Allen films. Good for her. This is a treat. Nuns, tug boats, angst-ridden opera writers, infidelity, American Civil War enthusiasts and teenager lovers. And a dog.

Full of off the wall bizarre characters. What more could you want?

Stars Marisa Tomei (the hot Aunt May, Spiderman fans), Anne Hathaway (the one that's not Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada) and Peter Dinklage (the weaponsmith in Avengers: Infinity Wars).

It's on Sky at the moment.

....and I love a happy ending.

8n3iUL1.png

Just finished 'A Haunting In Venice', the 3rd of Branagh's outing as Poirot. I'm giving it a 7. Not because it's a bad movie, but because it's so visually dark. I'm all for peering through the gloom in ghost stories. It's the done thing. But this was too dark. Unrelenting. There's daylight at the beginning and end, and that's it.

Adapted from Christie's original 'Hallowe'en Party' .

Favourite line comes from Poirot himself, "You woke the bear from his sleep. You cannot cry when he tangos."

YBHpxZw.png