Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

....and we've just watched 'Where Eagles Dare' for the zillionth time. I'd always give it a 10 for story, script and acting, but will adjust it here to 9 for the most unconvincing blood effects ever.......

The cable car scene gets me every time. I DO NOT do heights.

ekwUNE7.png

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy. Broadsword calling Danny Boy. Over...." 

1 hour ago, Palomar said:

You're the permanently outraged, you have to make up this stuff to normalise your own gnawing rage, you're dead inside and it's starting to rot.

Wow ... You're really outraged 

I guess you're offended because you know I'm refering to people like you 🤣

Quick run to your safe space 

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

Wow ... You're really outraged 

I guess you're offended because you know I'm refering to people like you 🤣

Quick run to your safe space 

Nah, I'm grinning right now, the only mildly outrageous thing around here is you having to make stuff up to then take issue with, because you've no other outlet for your inherent rage.

• Haha 1

On 15/12/2023 at 08:55, Bargepole23 said:

Leave The World Behind, new on Netflix, Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, Ethan Hawke...kind of about the beginnings of a cyber attack on the US, no phones/internet/planes falling from the sky etc, but viewed from its impact on a family on holiday.

Enjoyed it, 8/10

Just watched it . 5/10 too much talking and little else and why would a cyber attack affect the animals ? 

On 25/12/2023 at 08:20, foxydebs said:

Well said hecate as someone who has watched every episode with David Suchet in, brannagh is definitely no poirot.

I love the early Suchet Poirots, but I think the last one I thoroughly enjoyed was Murder in Mesopotamia.  I think they switched production companies after that (or something like that) and the tone shifted, starting with getting rid of Hastings, Japp and Miss Lemon.  Suchet was as excellent as ever, of course.

Having said that, the Suchet Poirots did take some liberties with the stories: Hastings, Japp and Miss Lemon were slotted into stories where they don't appear in the texts, and various other characters were replaced, added or removed to simplify or otherwise alter the plot (Hickory, Dickory Dock is a good example).  By the time they got to Appointment With Death it'd gone completely bonkers, introducing killer nuns and changing motives.

But David Suchet is Poirot, like Joan Hickson is Miss Marple. 

That's not to say others don't do a good job; I love Margaret Rutherford's Miss Marple films, but despite the name I never really saw her as Miss Marple, but more of a Miss Marple-like character, akin to Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote.

Brannagh is more of a bloke with funny facial hair.

'Holiday In The Vineyards'.      A passable 6 out of 10.   By-the-numbers romance flick. Very safe and probably this time of the year is the only time I'd entertain it.

Checklist:

Hot Latino chick

Good looking fella

Dead husband

Needy kids with issues

A best friends matchmaking couple

A mild to moderate betrayal

An evil power-mad mother

Beautiful scenery

It's Christmas

Predictable ending.

Tick 'em all off folks.

But I'm not making it sound poor I hope. It has its entertaining moments. As classic Christmas films go it's no 'Die Hard', 'Scrooged' or 'Last Christmas' but there's more than enough to keep anyone's slush factor topped up.

This was my favourite smile in the movie (but will only make sense in the context of the plot)

k4aUUm5.jpg dktf3zR.png

Edited by wearysmith