Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

• 2 weeks later...

The Zone of Interest

Based on a true story about the commandant of Auschwitz Concentration Camp who lives an idyllic life with his wife and children right next to the concentration camp. 

Although you don’t see what is happening in the camp you can hear gunshots, screaming  and the sound of trains and furnaces.

I didn’t really enjoy this film but others thought it was very good. 

6/10

11 hours ago, hauxwell said:

The Zone of Interest

Based on a true story about the commandant of Auschwitz Concentration Camp who lives an idyllic life with his wife and children right next to the concentration camp. 

Although you don’t see what is happening in the camp you can hear gunshots, screaming  and the sound of trains and furnaces.

I didn’t really enjoy this film but others thought it was very good. 

6/10

So, how do you make a film about the horrors of war,

Without showing the horrors of war.

Without lessening the brutality of what was going on.

Without getting accused of Holocaust denying.

The film makers some-how carry it off.

There is no pretence in the film & some how it works.

Bit of an 'Arty' type concept but like I said it works.

OK I fell asleep watching it :blush:.

(we've all been running around looking after Mum so there was no surprise :blush:)

I'll give it 5/5 but I've the other 1/2 to watch yet 😀.

Keep safe out there 8).

As this was recently in the news I thought i'd give it another watch for the first time since it came out.

‘The worst film ever made’: how Sex Lives of the Potato Men broke British cinema

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/feb/20/the-worst-film-ever-made-how-sex-lives-of-the-potato-men-broke-british-cinema

I certainly wouldn't call it ‘The worst film ever made’,  and there were some awful bits in it.  But it did have some funny non sexual scenes.

5/10

The World's End 

(starring Simon Peg, Nick Frost, Rosamund Pike.  2013)

Starts with a mega pub crawl trying to capture lost youth, and ends, via a sci-fi takeover, with a witty, philosophical discourse on the human condition, (which is very funny and painfully true..?) 

Daft but entertaining, with a point to make. Good production values and acting talent. 

Worth a watch.

8/10

On 27/02/2024 at 08:57, Rockers rule said:

So, how do you make a film about the horrors of war,

Without showing the horrors of war.

Without lessening the brutality of what was going on.

Without getting accused of Holocaust denying.

The film makers some-how carry it off.

There is no pretence in the film & some how it works.

Bit of an 'Arty' type concept but like I said it works.

OK I fell asleep watching it :blush:.

(we've all been running around looking after Mum so there was no surprise :blush:)

I'll give it 5/5 but I've the other 1/2 to watch yet 😀.

Keep safe out there 8).

The noises coming from the camp I knew what was happening, so yes the film makers did a good job there. Not sure if a younger generation would tho. A film that shows the true horrors of how Jews were treated in W11 has to be Schindler's List.
There were parts of that film I couldn't watch because of the brutality shown in the film.

Hope Mum is okay.

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

The noises coming from the camp I knew what was happening, so yes the film makers did a good job there. Not sure if a younger generation would tho. A film that shows the true horrors of how Jews were treated in W11 has to be Schindler's List.
There were parts of that film I couldn't watch because of the brutality shown in the film.

Hope Mum is okay.

Thank you hauxwell.

Mum is doing fine she's fighting the sealion and keeping him at bay so far :thumbsup:.

I've still to watch the last half :blush:.

I think this is probably an excellent film for the younger generation.

Once the penny drops it could well be an eyeopener to generate questions from them, as to how and why.

Don't you just love quiz shows? "I don't know the answer" -  "I wasn't even born then"

History is exactly that history. Not something your exempt from because you weren't born at the time :huh:.

Keep safe out there

Rocker  8)

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

I think this is probably an excellent film for the younger generation.

Once the penny drops it could well be an eyeopener to generate questions from them, as to how and why.

Yes I agree with you. 

'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' (David Thewlis, Asa Butterfield, Jack Scanion. 2008.)

A truly mesmerising film about the Holocaust which manages to make the horror personal and all the more shocking for it.

Awful for all the right reasons, but a brilliant film. (9/10)

• Like 1