Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

The Martian

Dumbed down and not quite conveying the emotional rollercoasting, lows of dread/desperation and highs of elation, from the book. Damon turns in a Bournesque performance which holds the film well, but I'm still somewhat disappointed (reading the book first spoiled it for me, really). The spaceship shots reminded me of that BBC docudrama of a few years ago, about a years-long mission visiting every planet of the solar system.

Star Wars TFA

Abrams does it again, and exceedingly well at that, but over-indulges the fan servicing and ends doing a remake of A New Hope (Evil empire? Check. Giant death star? check. Lightsaber wielding villain? Check. Young powerful Jedi who ignores the force? Check. Older mentor who gets killed by the villain? Check. Nailbiting deadline-led finale? Check. Young jedi off to see a long-lost master at the end? Check...I mean, come on!)

Enjoyed it but disappointed by it in near equal parts.

Master & Commander: the far side of the world

Relatively little-known Russel Crowe and Paul Bettany (very decent performances from each) vehicle about high seas swashbuckling during the Napoleonic wars, to be seen for the authenticity/attention to detail and cinematography. Dug this out for my Dad while they visited as he loves anything sea-themed, and enjoyed it very much.

Edited by L00b

Relatively little-known Russel Crowe and Paul Bettany (very decent performances from each) vehicle about high seas swashbuckling during the Napoleonic wars, to be seen for the authenticity/attention to detail and cinematography. Dug this out for my Dad while they visited as he loves anything sea-themed, and enjoyed it very much.

You'll be saying "quick's the word and sharp's the action" for a week now.

The Martian

#

One of my all-time favourites. I watched it again recently and it continues to work its magic. Pity they never made a sequel.

My nomination for the best film of 2015 is Brooklyn

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 19:54 ----------

The Hateful Eight.

7/10

Excessively long IMO, didn't have the pace of previous QT films.

Bizarrely had an interval in the middle of the showing.

I have not seen this film and don't intend to, on the grounds that it is probably boring, tedious, self-indulgent tripe by a director who has made the mistake of believing his own hype.

Try watching Lawrence of Arabia, full intermission with music at 2hrs 18min 45sec and then returns with Obi wan, my lad was very confused. :hihi:

I once owned a VHS version of Ben Hur that had a 30 minute long intermission halfway through the film. On VHS... what was the point of that? :loopy:

I once owned a VHS version of Ben Hur that had a 30 minute long intermission halfway through the film. On VHS... what was the point of that? :loopy:

T was probably at Cecil B. De Mille's insistence, he was a stickler for authenticity, he didn't know there was a pause feature or a stop button LOL .;)