Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

Jeffrey Shaw

Creed-8.5/10 Really enjoyed this movie, Sly was great in it, basically a re-hash of the first movie but very well done..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was expecting Creed to be much better than it was, because of the reviews on 'Rotten Tomatoes', which is usually a reliable source.

However, I found it to be very disappointing, because it never really strayed from the narrative of most boxing films, i.e. a contender struggling against the odds and finally beating the champ in the last round. With minor variations on a theme, it was just a sequence of boxing film cliches.

The best boxing film of all time in my view, is still 'Raging Bull', not only because of the fight scenes, but also because it had a very strong back story (of irrational jealousy and self-destruction) which underpinned the narrative.

The Revenant....Okay so I'm only giving it a 7/10. It is a beautifully shot movie but far too long. Great action sequences with the fights & bear mauling but far too much flashback malarky. I got fed up of the floaty dreamy wife & son. My interest dwindled as I got to the end of me pick & mix. :D

The Martian we thought was a really good watch.

The Revenant's scenery in Canada & Argentina was stunning, the film was awful, not

sure how it is up for any awards.

Spotlight was excellent but then we loved All The Presidents Men.

Hateful 8 seems very funny, but we are only half way through.

Bone Tombstone where a Western Movie meet a Horror story, absolutely gross.

Burnt

The best small-release movie about haute cuisine you never heard of. Solid performances by Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller and Daniel Brühl (that actor is seriously growing on me, after his stellar performance in Rush), with a predictable but nevertheless entertaining story, and a very convincing portrayal of the mind-bendingly obsessive character of top chefs (I've (been lucky to be able to-) eaten in enough Michelin-starred eateries and met and chatted with their chefs to vouch for the authenticity), over a schedule-friendly 1hr30-odd duration.

8/10

Cub - 5/10 - Belgian slasher horror (of sorts) thats never tense or suspenseful enough to grab you.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 22:38 ----------

Flight Of The Phoenix (1965) - 7.5/10 - Good old classic with an all star cast.

Maps To The Stars - 5/10 - A different style of film from David Cronenberg and not really my thing.

---------- Post added 29-01-2016 at 22:24 ----------

Ant-Man - 6.5/10 - A lesser MCU film but still entertaining the next one might do a little more with this character.