Has anyone managed to cut out refined sugar from their diet?

Be wary of getting too focused on 'sugar=v. bad'.

There's plenty of evidence that fat is the real issue, and also evidence that fat combined with carbs (doughnuts, burgers in buns, cake, biscuits etc) is a major problem, as that combination 'switches off' our appetite control.

I've been passionate about eating healthy since age 16, and fell for the demonisation of sugar as much as anyone.

Having just lost 2 stone in weight and clearing up several imflammation-based long standing health issues, by adopting my own variation of the fruitarian 80/10/10 way of eating, I'm having to reassess some of my previous beliefs.

In part because I watched a video of 'Durianrider'- a ultra slim pro-cyclist who lives almost entirely off fruit, in which he explained what he ate in times when he couldn't access decent fruit.

He poured 1/2 a bag of sugar on a dish of breakfast cereal and devoured it!

He always says fruit is best, but, if it's not available, he's no issue with eating refined sugar. The thing he avoids, is fat.

I've been vegan/vegetarian/primal etc, etc- pretty much every way of eating that's available- none ever gave me the results I wanted.

Now I'm down from 13 stone to 11 stone, several health issues either cured, or lessened, feeling better than I have for decades, and, finally able to do the kind of training that, 6 months ago, just wasn't possible.

Having looked at loads of research, it's clear that the medical establshment are in the dark over diet- obviously, from the obesity epidemic and the prevelance of diabetes, heart disease, cancer etc, something is deeply wrong with our food.

Having seen the successes of the fruitarians and 80/10/10-ers I've been following, in conjunction with my own, seemingly very successful experiment, I really do think there's something in it.

You say you have lost 2 stone in weight (well done) But,how much of this is muscle mass?

The ultra-slim cyclists you mention has a "somewhat" strange diet regime.He may suffer "big time" in his latter years,if he takes in no proteins.

You say you have lost 2 stone in weight (well done) But,how much of this is muscle mass?

The ultra-slim cyclists you mention has a "somewhat" strange diet regime.He may suffer "big time" in his latter years,if he takes in no proteins.

The two current threads on this topic could usefully be combined! I've just asked the same question on the other thread.

One of the things which can really help to get over hunger pangs without taking in too much sugar (higher calories, but without the sugar high and keeps the hunger at bay for a good long time) is almonds, raw unsalted ones.

We have a big bag of them around most of the time and a small handful of them can stop your stomach rumbling for a couple of hours and get you as far as dinner with no other snacks.

Yes medusa a handful of nuts a couple of times a day are ok.

One of the things which can really help to get over hunger pangs without taking in too much sugar (higher calories, but without the sugar high and keeps the hunger at bay for a good long time) is almonds, raw unsalted ones.

We have a big bag of them around most of the time and a small handful of them can stop your stomach rumbling for a couple of hours and get you as far as dinner with no other snacks.

Issue with nuts is the high-fat content. I use them myself- a few walnuts on my breakfast, but it's wise to not overdo them.

Another issue with nuts is the potential for the fats/oils to oxidise, so anything you can do to ensure they're fresh when bought is good.

Personally, being a bit cautious about the oxidision tendencies of oils/fats, I store my walnuts in an airtight jar in the fridge.

The two current threads on this topic could usefully be combined! I've just asked the same question on the other thread.

I agree! It's an interesting topic and should be merged.

The thing that grabbed my attention on the programme, was the reaction of the twin doctors at the end of the show. They were totally perplexed themselves as to how fat/sugars had affected their bodies in ways they thought they should have known.

The thing that grabbed my attention on the programme, was the reaction of the twin doctors at the end of the show. They were totally perplexed themselves as to how fat/sugars affected them in ways they thought they should have known.

Yes! But what I didn't get was why the high-fat-diet twin was at more risk of diabetes than the high-sugar-diet one. Or have I got that wrong? It would have helped if they had had big badges on each twin identifying them more clearly (Fat and Sugar would have done!).

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 14:06 ----------

Another issue with nuts is the potential for the fats/oils to oxidise, so anything you can do to ensure they're fresh when bought is good.

Personally, being a bit cautious about the oxidision tendencies of oils/fats, I store my walnuts in an airtight jar in the fridge.

That's my nut store doomed, then!

What's the specific concern about them oxidising, please?

Yes! But what I didn't get was why the high-fat-diet twin was at more risk of diabetes than the high-sugar-diet one. Or have I got that wrong? It would have helped if they had had big badges on each twin identifying them more clearly (Fat and Sugar would have done!).

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 14:06 ----------

I was totally surprised with the fat= potential diabetes outcome too!

The thing that grabbed my attention on the programme, was the reaction of the twin doctors at the end of the show. They were totally perplexed themselves as to how fat/sugars had affected their bodies in ways they thought they should have known.

Most doctors have very little idea when it comes to nutrition.

Bear in mind that the plethora of schemes introduced by the medical profession to tackle the food problem (low-fat foods in supermarkets, demonisation of sugar, demonisation of fat etc, etc) have neatly corresponded with a huge increase in diabetes, heart disease, obesity etc).

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 13:20 ----------

Google can tell you that better than me :)

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 13:21 ----------

I was totally surprised with the fat= potential diabetes outcome too!

Won't surprise the fruitarians and 80/10/10ers though- they're been raising alerts about fats for some time now.

Most doctors have very little idea when it comes to nutrition.

Bear in mind that the plethora of schemes introduced by the medical profession to tackle the food problem (low-fat foods in supermarkets, demonisation of sugar, demonisation of fat etc, etc) have neatly corresponded with a huge increase in diabetes, heart disease, obesity etc).

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 13:20 ----------

Google can tell you that better than me :)

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 13:21 ----------

Won't surprise the fruitarians and 80/10/10ers though- they're been raising alerts about fats for some time now.

You do realise that what you are saying is that, as an already grown adult, you have your body built, and have eaten a certain diet for a long time and therefore have increased body weight. To counter this long term effect, you started on a fruitarian diet, which possibly introduced more fruits and vitamins into your body which could have been lacking before, and it is working against what you already have in your own body in terms of fat. So the overall effect is much more dramatic, and it "seems" to be much more effective.

To me, I always see the body as needing everything. It is never a case of "either" "or". But if your body already has a high percentage of something, does it really need more in order to regain that balance and harmony in your body ? My assumption is a "no".

To me, I also see fruitarian diet as one of these "fad diets" too. The effect is quick, and fast, and then you need to then rebalance and reintroduce a more balanced lifestyle and eating habit to move forward on.

Did you know that there is a "fruit acid" diet and pills which also did the same effect as if you just ate fruit ? I have seen this being advertised a lot in recent year or so.

Raspberry Ketone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/becky-hand/raspberry-ketones_b_2727943.html

i drink as many as 20 cups of tea per day. i changed from refined sugar to granulated sweetener (hermesetas at the moment, £1.99 for 90 gram jar) its amazing how heavy normal sugar is in comparison. sweetener is incredibly light and the one i use is incredibly sweet. the cheaper ones are not too sweet and the plant extract ones are yucky. it now goes on my cereals. once you get used to it, normal sugar is rather dull.

as a diabetic it has kept my blood sugar levels from rising and combined with a short 4 mile jog now and again, in the last couple of years i've lost more than 2 stones, and i'm not even dieting!

Archived