Beware cheap expensive car keys.

If you have only one key, what happens if you lose it, or it gets dropped into water and the electronics get fried?

Its not just the cost, its more the inconvenience of an immobilised car and what might be in it (wallet, house keys etc.)

I suppose pretty much the same as if I had 2 sets or 3 sets of keys. I ring up the insurance company and they get you replacement keys and send out a man with them. I would think very few folk carry 2 sets of keys around with them and if they did there would be a very good chance of the 2nd set getting lost with a handbag along with the first set.

yes when I worked for vag, all cars upto around mid 2002 could have the keys coded by independents, but then vag decided that it was a security issue giving out key codes (which actually immobilised the fuel pump via a circuit board attached to the pump) so since then its been a matter of taking the car to them , plugging in the vas system which relays the car info back to hq in Germany and the code is loaded directly from there to the key in the ignition, so its not available to anyone other than the dealer and they fleece you for it!!!

There is another way round that issue.my mate has software that reads the code and he then replaces it with his own code thus able to reprogram second keys etc

it may read the code, but only upto mid 2002. after that it cannot be read as even the dealer cannot read it as its no longer stored in the dash module as it was previously. codes come directly from hq straight to the car. there is no third party software or machine that can do it after mid 2002 model years. if you can prove otherwise I would be more than interested as it would be very lucrative indeed. if your mate can read the code why would he need to replace it with his own code? how would you get around the rom in the ecu that creates the rolling codes? as you cant write to it.?

it may read the code, but only upto mid 2002. after that it cannot be read as even the dealer cannot read it as its no longer stored in the dash module as it was previously. codes come directly from hq straight to the car. there is no third party software or machine that can do it after mid 2002 model years. if you can prove otherwise I would be more than interested as it would be very lucrative indeed. if your mate can read the code why would he need to replace it with his own code? how would you get around the rom in the ecu that creates the rolling codes? as you cant write to it.?

Not sure how he does it as ive never seen him do it but he has show me the device he uses. And I have seen a fair few cars at his house which were to be done.

• 1 month later...

Archived