Ww1 records help please

roughy101

HI roughy101 - as you have found, the usual on-line resources don't seem to include the records of Harry Horace Dobson. The reason for this may be that over half of the First World War service records were destroyed by bombing in 1940 - see here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/firstworldwar/service_records/sr_soldiers.htm

am trying to find the military records for harry horace dobson who was killed in action but can only find records of his death medal.

will his record not gone on line?

thanks

If you know what regiment he was in you could try contacting them,

They may have a historical association or museum,

For example I found details of my relation from the York and Lancs

museum

If you know what regiment he was in you could try contacting them,

They may have a historical association or museum,

For example I found details of my relation from the York and Lancs

museum

A cousin of mine was in the 12th Battalion York and Lancs he died 1st July 1916, first day of the battle of the Somme.

Visited his grave in September last year. I tried to visit the York and Lancs museum in Rotherham before going to France but was told it was closed at the time.

Is it open again and do they have records you can look at on site?

If you know what regiment he was in you could try contacting them, They may have a historical association or museum
Yes indeed - my grandfather was in the Durham Light Infantry. His service records did survive the 1940 bombing and so I was able to obtain copies, but I also found the people at the Durham Light Infantry Museum very helpful in regard to the actions fought by his battalion. Harry Horace Dobson was in the Northumberland Fusiliers with the service No 17507; he is buried at Roisel (here are details). Here is a link to the regimental museum's website; they offer a research service for a fee of £35 per soldier.

A cousin of mine was in the 12th Battalion York and Lancs he died 1st July 1916, first day of the battle of the Somme.

Visited his grave in September last year. I tried to visit the York and Lancs museum in Rotherham before going to France but was told it was closed at the time.

Is it open again and do they have records you can look at on site?

When I visited they were in the process of moving to Clifton Park Museum

but were able to get some information for me from their own computer records

I am not sure if they are open yet. I would send an E mail to address below

with a request for the information you require.I was told they were hoping to put files online for public use.

yorkandlancsmuseum@rotherham.gov.uk

When I visited they were in the process of moving to Clifton Park Museum

but were able to get some information for me from their own computer records

I am not sure if they are open yet. I would send an E mail to address below

with a request for the information you require.I was told they were hoping to put files online for public use.

yorkandlancsmuseum@rotherham.gov.uk

Thanks, I'll do that.

Archived