Bikes on trains issue

I'm travelling to Weymouth in the Spring with my bike and have booked some tickets however its come to light that on the second leg of the journey i can't reserve my bike.

Cross Country has booked my bike both ways to Basingstoke and return from Southampton but my problem lyes with South West trains who have said i have to ask at the window when i get there to see availability.

Well, if I get to Basingstoke and and can't get my bike on then i'm completely stuffed and my holiday in Jersey will be ruined because of ferry timings in Weymouth.

Also then I have to travel from Weymouth to Southampton on return and the same applies.

This is very risky though I arrive in Basingstoke out of peak time they said its unlikely BUT possible.

I have recently travelled from London to Winchester on the same train (London to Weymouth) and booked my bike on so can't understand why suddenly you can't book.

Any views on this is appreciated

Any views on this is appreciated

I have a friend who is a train guard for Northern Rail, they are only meant to allow 2 cycles, but he has never refused a cycle. Not sure what other operators are like, but they will let you on, so long as its not peak times. Just turn up and show a bit of leg ;)

Is there a central body you can complain to - Off-rail or whatever it is called to raise the issue.

Not much help for you in this instance, but it might set the wheels in motion to getting better service for you and others in future.

It just seems so ridiculous that they can think that leaving potential passengers in limbo is ever a way to provide a service.Organisations that are there to provide a service should be doing just that - providing a service. In this instance they clearly are not.

Archived