What laws in the UK do you feel are wrong on moral grounds?

Oh dear..........

How much does keeping drugs off the street cost the tax payer? Millions.....Billions?

Wouldn't that money be better spent by increasing the budget for rehabilitation? It would certainly reduce costs, not increase them as you think.

And why do people think that legalising all drugs would mean selling them in shops to any Tom, Dick or Harry? Yes, things like cannabis and the odd pills would probably be sold, or magic mushrooms, but Heroin would have to be controlled and sold by pharmacies or something similar. Plus the drug wouldn't be cut with crap like brick dust, like it often is on the street.

Lives would be saved, money would be saved, real advice would be given from trained medical professionals who are not interested in profit.

It's a no brainer!

You clearly have the bones of an argument yet your tone is patronising. This is clearly your hobby horse and you're amazed people don't instantly agree with you. Why? It's not the most important thing in the world to others. You're bound to be scrutinised.

As I said, I'm all in favour, just don't expect the vast majority of non users to pay out for treatment of a luxury. Nobody is forced to take anything, the choice should be paid for.

Back to Middle England, you'll never convince them to vote for their kids to take heroin and the rest and then pay for the comedown. Your vision only stands a chance if every user pays themselves and charities pay for those who don't.

---------- Post added 05-02-2014 at 11:44 ----------

Oh dear..........

How much does keeping drugs off the street cost the tax payer? Millions.....Billions?

Wouldn't that money be better spent by increasing the budget for rehabilitation? It would certainly reduce costs, not increase them as you think.

And why do people think that legalising all drugs would mean selling them in shops to any Tom, Dick or Harry? Yes, things like cannabis and the odd pills would probably be sold, or magic mushrooms, but Heroin would have to be controlled and sold by pharmacies or something similar. Plus the drug wouldn't be cut with crap like brick dust, like it often is on the street.

Lives would be saved, money would be saved, real advice would be given from trained medical professionals who are not interested in profit.

It's a no brainer!

---------- Post added 05-02-2014 at 11:36 ----------

See my other post.

Look at the results other countries have had by lifting prohibition.

What has this got to do with you or this subject?

I'm asking, that's what it's got to do with me. I've met many freedom lovers who see themselves as peaceful hippie types. They don't realise they've got more in common with the guns and no taxes, lets live in isolation ultra right in the USA. I also remember the 1979 episode of Our Friends in the North where a hard right Tory campaigns for the legalisation of all drugs. Not sure if people realise what they're linking themselves to.

Scrapping prohibition doesn't mean allowing the free sale of heroin, that should be free from the state only, the sale should still be illegal.

Cannabis on the other hand should be legal to grow and sold in pharmacies to >18s.

---------- Post added 05-02-2014 at 11:46 ----------

What do you think does stop most people from doing it? Genuine question.....

The knowledge of what it does to you :huh:

Really? I remember my recent youth and student days. Everyone popped a few E's, most dabbled in cannabis until their mid twenties. I knew some wanted to take their experimentation further but knowing those drugs were in a different class legally and in terms of their effects did not. They were also harder to obtain. I can imagine the same types of people today saying to each other "well its legal now, it must have been proved that its not that bad, all the junkies must have been on bad stuff. I'm going to try it, you can get treatment for it for free anyway so what's the problem?"

Regardless of the rights or wrongs, there is no way middle England, the main constituency in this country is going to tolerate their taxes paying for massive drug treatment clinics. They begrudgingly tolerate a few fools falling through the cracks, not mass consumption.

Ecstasy and heroin are both class A. Both easy to obtain. There is a reason hundreds of thousands of people take ecstasy on a regular basis but wouldn't touch heroin and it's nothing to do with legality.

I don't think any legalisation advocates are saying "let's just make everything legal and see what happens", education about drugs is the key.

jb

Depends on the drug but for heroin I guess it's its highly addictive nature, the belief that you'll end up dead with a needle in your arm and something offensive up your bottom together with the social stigma of being a smack head.

A better question would be, why do people take heroin in the first place?

jb

I was somewhat horrified to see that a celebrity who died recently had a $10,000 per month heroin habit.

I wish I had $10,000 a month for "disposable spending"! I sure wouldn't be spending it on drugs (apart from the anti-hypertensives, anti-diabetics, etc. that our kind government provides to keep me alive)

I was somewhat horrified to see that a celebrity who died recently had a $10,000 per month heroin habit.

I wish I had $10,000 a month for "disposable spending"! I sure wouldn't be spending it on drugs (apart from the anti-hypertensives, anti-diabetics, etc. that our kind government provides to keep me alive)

That's a lot of heroin.

jb

Lol. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the only thing preventing hoards of people injecting heroin is the fact it's against the law.

Quite, Heroin use/abuse skyrocketed as a direct result of it's prohibition, not in spite of it.

The vast profits from it's illegality introduce a huge incentive to push. That simply wouldn't be the case if the legislation weren't so backwards.

With regard to heroin, the vast majority of deaths/issues are again, as a direct result of it's prohibition. It is adulterated to maximise profits, and there's no way to guarantee dosage.

As for treatment on the NHS, I doubt it would be any worse than it is now. I don't see that many people up in arms about treatment needed as a result of legal drugs.

Archived