Does anyone remember Bells Fruit and Flower Shop on Fulwood Road?

I wonder if anyone remembers Bells Fruit and Flower shop on Fulwood Road. They also had a shop at Crosspool.

I worked there as a Saturday job from 1982 to 1984. Mr and Mrs Bell were both elderly then! I don't live in that part of Sheffield so don't know if its still a shop.

It was at Ranmoor, if you were going up Hangingwater Road to Fulwood Road and turned right at top, it was in the middle of a row of shops on left hand side. Had a restaurant and a newsagents and a butchers near it.

I think I know where you mean, just past the Bull's Head. I used to go to Paul Butler's barber's shop and I think next door was a shop called Wiseman's.

I also remember the restaurant but that's the best I can put forth. I 'do' flowers about three times per year!

I lived at Ranmoor from 1968 till 1981 and remember Bells.My mum used to send me there for fruit (obviously) .I was always a bit nervous going there as a huge bloke from Ranmoor View mental home used to frequent there.He was really loud and was often seen hanging around outside;quite intimidating to a small boy.I remember the other shops at Ranmoor;Gowers & Burgons-supermarket;Graingers-off licence;Halls-chemist;Harrisons-butchers;Ranmoor Post Office;Stainforths-cobblers and 2 that are still there 30+ years on;Howsons-butchers and Butlers the butchers...sorry I meant to say barbers.:hihi:

Remember the man from Ranmoor View, I was only 14 when I started working there and I was nervous of him but don't think there was any harm in him really. Don't suppose, Rocklegend, that you've been past there in last few years and seen what it is now??

....and Butlers the butchers...sorry I meant to say barbers.:hihi:

Spot on! Made my first visit to him in the seventies with my fashionable long hair, just to tidy it up you understand....left there with short back and sides - I think I cried :D

Once I joined the forces it was a different story and he gave me some of the best haircuts I ever had :thumbsup:

Remember the man from Ranmoor View, I was only 14 when I started working there and I was nervous of him but don't think there was any harm in him really. Don't suppose, Rocklegend, that you've been past there in last few years and seen what it is now??

You may be talking about Ivan. He used to wander all around the Ranmoor area and was indeed very frightening to us kids, and unfortunately an easy target as we got a little older as well. As the years passed I got to know him in a 'passing on the street' basis and he wasn't so bad after all.

Archived