Who has vitiligo

You know what I mean.stop trolling.

You were trolling lady.

To the op I believe that there is a support group based at the Hallamshire. I knew someone at Uni who had mild Vitiligo (her patches were restricted to her back) and I think she went a few times. This was a good 5 years a go though.

You were trolling lady.

To the op I believe that there is a support group based at the Hallamshire. I knew someone at Uni who had mild Vitiligo (her patches were restricted to her back) and I think she went a few times. This was a good 5 years a go though.

I have never been told of any support groups in Sheffield, i would go to one if i could.

I think Michael Jackson also had it.

He did and he was telling the truth,his family did not believe him.It was said in that autopsy program that looked at how Michael,Whitney and Anna Nicole all died.It was in the autopsy report that Michael did have vitiligo.

Yes I have vitiligo

I believe it's autoimmune, I also had an overactive thyroid, apparently also an autoimmune problem. This has since been rectified with radioiodine treatment and I'm now hypothyroid and on lifelong thyroxine.

The two are sometimes linked and actually I only got diagnosed as having thyroid issues when I went to my doctor to ask why my skin was turning white.

I'm Caucasian and so it really presents no problem during the winter, but in the summer it's quite obvious and I have to avoid getting any sort of tan.

I have white skin on my hands, chest (sadly even lost a bit of areola which was fairly horrifying), underarms, stomach and probably in other places I haven't noticed as I do avoid tanning like the plague.

I dread more going to be honest, I do find though that avoiding tanning and definitely never allowing yourself to get sunburned at all, and avoiding skin damage does seem to help slow it down (sometimes it starts where you get a cut/graze, I guess that's the immune response going nuts).

Oh and it can give you pure white hair in the affected areas as well which is strange, luckily not got it on my scalp (yet!).

Yes I have vitiligo

I believe it's autoimmune, I also had an overactive thyroid, apparently also an autoimmune problem. This has since been rectified with radioiodine treatment and I'm now hypothyroid and on lifelong thyroxine.

The two are sometimes linked and actually I only got diagnosed as having thyroid issues when I went to my doctor to ask why my skin was turning white.

I'm Caucasian and so it really presents no problem during the winter, but in the summer it's quite obvious and I have to avoid getting any sort of tan.

I have white skin on my hands, chest (sadly even lost a bit of areola which was fairly horrifying), underarms, stomach and probably in other places I haven't noticed as I do avoid tanning like the plague.

I dread more going to be honest, I do find though that avoiding tanning and definitely never allowing yourself to get sunburned at all, and avoiding skin damage does seem to help slow it down (sometimes it starts where you get a cut/graze, I guess that's the immune response going nuts).

Oh and it can give you pure white hair in the affected areas as well which is strange, luckily not got it on my scalp (yet!).

My late Mum had vitiligo and thyroid problems too , though we didn't realize the two were connected. She was prescribed a very high strength sun block via her GP ( I think it was called Spectraban) to protect her everyday , not just during the summer .She had the white patches over her face and body which she covered with make up and her hair was white too .

Yes I have vitiligo

I have had this about 30 years but it got much worse about 10 years ago after being under a lot of stress for a long time. I have only had a test for thyroid and that was fine, but i know its linked to other conditions.

I have a repeat prescription from my gp for camouflage make up for my face and for factor 50 sun screen, but i dont like to use either but its a case of having too. I too have pale skin so apart from my face its not noticeable in winter. I have patches all over my body except for my neck and the bottom of my legs and i have a streak of pure white hair so i must have a patch on my head too.

I also avoid the sun and i miss going on holiday abroad, last time i went was in 2009 and i looked such a mess i just cried.

I quite recently found out that it can take the colour out of the eyes and that upset me just thinking about it!

It has taken me years to be able to speak about this, so thank you for replying.

Yes I'd never be able to go on a beach holiday, it'd just be a waste of time and I'd look/feel awful, it'd be lovely to be able to wear what I want without worrying about it

My other half jokes I look like a fresian cow in the summer :roll: (good job I love him eh?!)

I didn't know it could affect your eyes, I've got blue eyes so I guess it wouldn't be noticeable and my optician has never mentioned anything about it. Looking it up it seems it can affect your hearing too.... I already have poor hearing in one ear so I hope I don't get that too :(

Archived