£430,000 for humiliated copper caught on camera smashing a window

It's a real facepalm story.

Amazed they were cleared of misconduct and not censured for incompetence.

Big question - who released the video?

Now the guy makes a living creating wooden reindeer models - if he thinks he's going to stop being the butt of jokes, he may be disappointed. I'd advise him to steer clear of the internet for a few years.

This is what I think.

1 - The video should never have been leaked. Who leaked this should be reprimanded. As this is confidential materials.

2 - Any misconduct behaviours and so forth should never affect the remaining force and employees. The fact that some employees took it on themselves to actually cause an atmosphere for the police officer means that management was not strict in this kind of specific scenario. This is whereby one of those "it is only a bicker" situation can escalate badly.

3 - If an officer has had his job changed, then this is a tribunal issue to begin with. The employee is entitled to dispute this aspect, as it is not the condition of his employment contract. So even if there are misconduct there should indeed be an assessment as to whether to put the police officer back on the frontline but doing other jobs rather than car chasing. This is also an issue of the management. Cos this can be seen as a demotion to be honest, and it affects the morale of the employee.

I do not blame the officer for fighting his corner in the employment tribunal to be honest. Cos losing one's dignity is almost akin to losing one's motivation in their job. Many employers now actually do reprimand behavioural elements of employees and their attitudes as well. So this is not entirely a surprise in my eyes. Cos I have seen this in private companies already.

Big question - who released the video?

I saw it on one of those "police, camera, idiot" programmes on the telly. No doubt the forces make a tidy sum from selling the footage to TV companies.

I wonder how much C5 paid to do Police Interceptors and where the money goes.

Archived