Housing shortage

Andrew Charalambous, UKIP's housing spokesman.....

This problem, he claimed, has been exacerbated by influxes of immigrants, some of whom apply for social housing.

I love how UKIP's housing spokesman has what looks like a Greek surname and blames immigrants for a shortage of housing.

Political parties do not build houses. Governments don't, either. Developers do.

Aye, but where do the developers get the funding from? Or are you saying that social housing that UKIP wants to make more available will magically be provided by the markets?

Remember, you're in a city with tens of thousands of properties that were built with government funding.

http://www.ukip.org/issues/policy-pages/social-housing says this:

Council house applicants whose parents or grandparents were born locally should be given priority on waiting lists, according to a new policy from the UK Independence Party.

Andrew Charalambous, UKIP's housing spokesman, said the proposal would strengthen local communities, particularly in London, because many people are being encouraged to move out to obtain cheaper housing.

This problem, he claimed, has been exacerbated by influxes of immigrants, some of whom apply for social housing.

"With the 2011 census showing almost three million people or 36.7% of London's population are foreign-born, making London the city with the second largest immigrant population after New York City, it is likely that the inflow of migrants has been a massive factor in the overcrowding of the city's social housing.

"It is imperative that the issue is tackled. We need to see more social housing made available and priority given to British families and those who have contributed to the system over a number of years."

Ukip said Camden council figures show that of the borough's 22,817 tenants, about 8,000 describe themselves as British while some 6,000 say they are foreign nationals. The remainder declined to define themselves.

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 17:48 ----------

No- as I've posted on the thread as a member, I'm debarred from moderating the thread. House Rules, you see.

My bold=

Ukips housing policy discriminates against those whose parents and grandparents were not born locally ie children of foreigners, surprise surprise.

Utter crap. Central and local government have built millions of homes in this country.

Think it's safe to say UKIP don't really have a policy on this.

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 18:18 ----------

My bold=

Ukips housing policy discriminates against those whose parents and grandparents were not born locally ie children of foreigners, surprise surprise.

It could also cause ghettos to form. So many British people are second and third generation immigrants so UKIP's policy could backfire.

So we should just forget about it?

What are UKIP's plans for dealing with the issue?

Reduce the influx of immigrants which should allow house building to keep up with demand.

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 18:50 ----------

I love how UKIP's housing spokesman has what looks like a Greek surname and blames immigrants for a shortage of housing.

This might have something to do with his name.

Andy Charalambous was born in London, England, to Greek immigrant parents. :)

Reduce the influx of immigrants which should allow house building to keep up with demand.

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 18:50 ----------

This might have something to do with his name.

Andy Charalambous was born in London, England, to Greek immigrant parents. :)

Even if you stopped immigration there is still not enough house building.

Yes it has. Can you not just merge it with one of Chemists meanderings?

Stop posting and reading if it annoys you.

There is a housing crisis. I've been warning and suggesting ways of dealing with it for many many years now.

No doubt in a few years, the big issues of the day will be about ensuring people have a right to grow food, or that the landowners are taxed to ensure the landless can live, due to them being denied the ability of looking after themselves in the first because of the violence resulting from land ownership.

There is a housing crisis. I've been warning and suggesting ways of dealing with it for many many years now.

No doubt in a few years, the big issues of the day will be about ensuring people have a right to grow food, or that the landowners are taxed to ensure the landless can live, due to them being denied the ability of looking after themselves in the first because of the violence resulting from land ownership.

God bless you chem, I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't shown up on this thread. There is a housing crisis, on that we agree. After that we really don't. ;)

I gather you're no longer in Sheffield now?

I do love reading your misguided rants about housing............ You should get yourself a couple of BTL properties Chem , rake in the rent and enjoy life spending the profits . You will never change how the system works , so you may as well profit from it like a lot of us do .

Archived