How long does it take for a doggy poo plastic bag to decompose?

Most dog owners? Where do you get this information from?

In my experience most dog owners dispose of dog poop responsibly by putting it in a bin or taking it home to dispose of. I'm not aware of little plastic bags of dog poop left lying around in the environment.

a stroll down the path along the rivelin streams will display what i mean. not too far from a childrens playground either.

Is this an old law?

So a person would be breaking the law to put their bags anywhere else, apart from the poop-bin.

Why not change the law and have combined litter/poop-bins?

Well in Sheffield the contents of the street bins also goes to the incinerator, so in Sheffield there is no guilt attached to using a litter bin with a poo bag :)

It's a law that was made at the time when the first poo bins were installed (as far as I can see) and in terms of dumping a used poo bag in a public bin, then yes, unless you are in a place like Sheffield where litter bins off street are also incinerated then legally the only place that one may dispose of them is in a dog waste bin (or your own home bin).

---------- Post added 05-02-2014 at 22:55 ----------

a stroll down the path along the rivelin streams will display what i mean. not too far from a childrens playground either.

There are clearly those who don't act responsibly in clearing up after their dogs, but I take serious exception at the insinuation that it's something that all dog owners do.

I take full responsibility for the effects of my dog on the environment and pick up after her whenever necessary, even if that entails taking a torch with us so that I can see clearly where she's going to the loo, and I know that there are countless other responsible people around too.

Most dog owners? Where do you get this information from?

In my experience most dog owners dispose of dog poop responsibly by putting it in a bin or taking it home to dispose of. I'm not aware of little plastic bags of dog poop left lying around in the environment.

they are everywhere, there's a tree near my house which has loads of bags hung upon it, and im sure its the same person over and over. Obviously its not all dog owners but its quite a big problem.

And a note to the person who keeps putting the plastic bags in the skip outside my house. If i catch you it will end up in your face as the skip company made me take them all out last time as they wouldn't take it.

We buy corn starch nappy sacks. They look like plastic, but are fully compostable, so can be disposed of discretely when miles from a bin but the on-lead hound hasn't had the option of getting off the footpath

(sorry for not bothering to read any other posts)

The dog poops and the poo decomposes in about 7 days, however the plastic bag takes about 1000 years to decompose.

So it seems I have some very valuable ancient hand tools, made by Stanley!

I kept them in a plastic bag; the bag has decomposed into flakes and dust.

Therefore, my tools must be 1,000 years old.

QED

I like it when people decorate the trees and bushes with little poop bags they hang from the branches. It's like Christmas, only with poo instead of baubles.

You see this quite a bit in Wyming Brook and Eccy Woods. I'm sure dog owners are intending to pick these bags up on the way back, but many forget.

I like it when people decorate the trees and bushes with little poop bags they hang from the branches. It's like Christmas, only with poo instead of baubles.

You see this quite a bit in Wyming Brook and Eccy Woods. I'm sure dog owners are intending to pick these bags up on the way back, but many forget.

Really, I've never come across it. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

It's worse than not picking it up at all!

Archived