£100M for south coast flood damage

is the north being disadvantaged for the south?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. is the north being disadvantaged for the south?

• yes, they deserve it.
    • no, they deserve it.
    • yes, purseholders are looking after their neighbours.
    • no, of course not.
    • the south should be given up to the sea.
    • cant vote now, i'm drowning!

I agree that money should be set aside to repair roads, railways and other community facilities but surely homeowners should claim for any losses on their insurance policies? Surely everyone knows that if you buy a house by the sea there's a chance you might get flooded?

How did you get to vote four times on the poll?

You're only allowed one vote though. I generally don't bother with polls but I voted on this one just to put it to the test and I can't place another vote.

You can select more than one option when you originally vote. I've just voted for all six options.

More than likely,

"government minister Eric Pickles blames floods on global warming and says sending money abroad will help tackle the crisis

Ukip calls for foreign aid money to be diverted to help UK flood victims

But Eric Pickles insists response in Somerset does not need extra cash

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2555131/Eric-Pickles-blames-flooding-global-warming-claiming-foreign-aid-spending-help-tackle-situation.html#ixzz2sr6JWGaC

Eric Pickles also said the government made a mistake. They left it to the Environment Agency to sort, and the EA got it wrong. But the EA was just following government orders and Agenda 21 which the government signed up to, which said no dredging, even at the expense of property.

It's also interesting to note that now some expensive properties on the Thames are threatened, the army's been called in big time, and suddenly it's all hands to the pump...

Eric Pickles also said the government made a mistake. They left it to the Environment Agency to sort, and the EA got it wrong. But the EA was just following government orders and Agenda 21 which the government signed up to, which said no dredging, even at the expense of property.

It's also interesting to note that now some expensive properties on the Thames are threatened, the army's been called in big time, and suddenly it's all hands to the pump...

Come off it Anna, as tragic as the Somerset levels flooding is, the potential damage to infrastructure could cripple the south east. The m25 was shut Friday night (I think it was then) because of flooding. Last time I heard it was around 100 properties in Somerset (the marines have been filling sand bags for a few days already and rescuing cars in Cornwall just after Christmas but let's not let facts get in the way) - in the Thames valley it's hundreds of thousands. The 1500 servicemen are probably from the oxford area and could well be protecting others whilst there own homes could flood.

Now we could spend millions protecting Somerset and Thames valley (and Worcester - whose city centre is blocked off because of flooding for at least a week according to the news but Worcester floods so often it's hardly big news) dawlish (I assuming you want the coast done as well) and loads of other places who have been hit hard by excessive rainfall and once in 250 year storms. Agenda 21 has sod all to do with it - it's down to money.

Eric "Sontaran" Pickles' comments haven't gone down too well with DEFRA or Owen Paterson

"The BBC has also been told that the environment department Defra is furious at Mr Pickles' comments, made after he took over as senior minister responsible for anti-flood policy while Environment Secretary Owen Paterson underwent eye surgery.

I understand Mr Paterson has complained "in the strongest possible terms" to the prime minister about what he calls Mr Pickles' "grandstanding"."

The professional body representing water engineers called Erics comments "absolute tosh"

CIWEM said the Environment Agency had a statutory responsibility to protect life before property and property before farmland - this was not Lord Smith's choice.

The spokesman said the real problem was that the government had failed to back the agency's spending plans to combat the effects of climate change, and had left the agency short of half a billion pounds for its long-term flood plans.

Richard Ashley, professor of water management at Sheffield University, said Mr Pickles' comments were "ignorant and out of order".

"It absolutely beggars belief," he told BBC News. "He hasn't got a clue what he's talking about."

No change there then.

How would you feel right now if you were a tax payer and one of those in Somerset whose house was flooded, would you be happy that your taxes helped send an Indian Spaceship on its way to Mars whilst the government can't afford to make your land safe.

If only the government listened to you and were stopping aid money to India. Oh hang on a moment.

Archived