£100M for south coast flood damage

is the north being disadvantaged for the south?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. is the north being disadvantaged for the south?

• yes, they deserve it.
    • no, they deserve it.
    • yes, purseholders are looking after their neighbours.
    • no, of course not.
    • the south should be given up to the sea.
    • cant vote now, i'm drowning!

So, it was the maximum allowed, by who, whose treasury. for whom?

What other agencies?

How much did the EU put up?

Where did the pitiful £400k come from?

What was the Massive £400k spent on?

Apparently it is not the sole responsibility of the EA to dredge the levels rivers. It's a joint responsibility with 4 district councils, a county council and something called IIRC the local inland drainage board.

So seven agencies/authorities had to get together to execute the plan. EA provided the max it could according to Treasury rules. £1.7m in total was needed. Obviously £400,000 was nowhere near enough.

Whose responsibility it was to bang heads together to make it happen I don't know. Quite possibly nobody had responsibility, meaning nothing happened.

Why cant we sort our own ppl out (England) instead of sending god knows how much to other places out of England !!

If anyone thinks we can prevent flooding entirely, they are deluding themselves.

In the next few decades we are going to have to surrender parts of the coast line to the sea. No amount of money will stop this from happening.

Just out of interest who is responsible for the repairs of the rail tracks down there, seeing as I thought Network Rail was a private Ltd company.

Will taxpayer money be needed to help out?

I also note that it is planned for Network Rail to be brought back into the public sector.

"The Office for National Statistics (ONS) announced today (17thDecember 2013) that it plans to reclassify Network Rail Limited and its subsidiaries (together referred to as Network Rail)to the public sector from 1st September 2014 when new EU reporting rules come into force. The effect of this reclassification will be to bring the company’s debt and any future borrowings onto the public sector balance sheet. "

Network Rail has always been public sector. It was privatised as Railtrack & then renationalised as Network Rail when Railtrack failed. It's just a reclassification under EU accounting rules to clarify the current situation.

If anyone thinks we can prevent flooding entirely, they are deluding themselves.

In the next few decades we are going to have to surrender parts of the coast line to the sea. No amount of money will stop this from happening.

Im not saying We can Prevent flooding , However im sure more money spent would have helped in some places Rather than sending to africa or where ever like we seem to do.

I would like to see more help to the familys that have lost there homes. some of the ppl i saw on the Tv tonight seemed to be begging for help and still waiting!!

Really does seem the goverment does not really care !!

What about Holland? No floods for 60 years or something, are they deluded?

Im not saying We can Prevent flooding , However im sure more money spent would have helped in some places Rather than sending to africa or where ever like we seem to do.

I would like to see more help to the familys that have lost there homes. some of the ppl i saw on the Tv tonight seemed to be begging for help and still waiting!!

Really does seem the goverment does not really care !!

There's only a certain amount money can do. You can't throw a load of banknotes in the water and tell it to subside, that's not how it works.

As Cameron has said, the help is there but this is nature and they can't work miracles...the resources are there for as and when they stop getting battered by the weather.

They're not starving money from Somerset and sending it to Africa, the money is there but it's useless until the weather improves.

There's only a certain amount money can do. You can't throw a load of banknotes in the water and tell it to subside, that's not how it works.

As Cameron has said, the help is there but this is nature and they can't work miracles...the resources are there for as and when they stop getting battered by the weather.

They're not starving money from Somerset and sending it to Africa, the money is there but it's useless until the weather improves.

You can throw a load of money at some Dutch engineers, get them to come over here, build us some dykes & windmills or whatever they do these days.

Archived