Would it matter if the next Bond was black?

Would it matter?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would it matter?

• Yes
    • No

An important question.

This comes about after the bloke from 12 Years a Slave and the bloke from Pacific Rim have both been rumoured as possibly being then next Bond actor.

Thoughts?

I heard the idea a while back and thought it was daft but I don't think it would really bother me.

Since there have been so many different actors playing Bond, I've sort of internally rationalised it as being a title for the post, a bit like "M". So once a Bond has got too old, the British Intelligence service (or whatever they are called) promote the best candidate to the post of "James Bond".

On that basis, the next Bond can be black. In fact, wasn't there talk of Colin Salmon (who has been in a few bond films) being proposed as a future bond?

On that basis, the next Bond can be black. In fact, wasn't there talk of Colin Salmon (who has been in a few bond films) being proposed as a future bond?
I remember that too, he might have made a good Bond but in my mind the character was always a dark haired Celt, a la Connery.

Whilst I wouldn't say it would particularly bother me, I don't think the next bond should be black. James Bond is a white guy, stereotypically British.

Have you ever read the books? I went from Biggles to Bond when I was about 12. Which shows how old they are, that was in the late 50s!

In the books he's a seriously nasty piece of work. What always amused me in the films and subsequent publicity surrounding the Bond franchise was the way he is always portrayed as the quintessential Englishman.

It's been a long time since I've read the books but if I recall correctly Bond didn't have a drop of English blood in him.

His father was a Scot and his mother Swiss.

As to could he be played by a black man, don't see why not, after the travesty that was Reacher played by a midget it wouldn't really strech credibility anywhere near as much!

Idris Elba would be my choice also, an actor with a definite 'presence.'

I always thought James Bond and 007 was just an assigned name and number to a secret agent.

Like the number 7 Manchester United shirt is always there, but it's reserved for special strikers to fill its identity.

If that is right then no what's the difference. I want Johnson from Peep Show to play it.

No, why would it be?

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 12:06 ----------

Since there have been so many different actors playing Bond, I've sort of internally rationalised it as being a title for the post, a bit like "M". So once a Bond has got too old, the British Intelligence service (or whatever they are called) promote the best candidate to the post of "James Bond".

He is a good actor and does have a very large screen presence but he was not a field spook.

I always thought Clive Owen would be a good bond but he has got a bit old now.

No, why would it be?

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 12:06 ----------

He is a good actor and does have a very large screen presence but he was not a field spook.

I always thought Clive Owen would be a good bond but he has got a bit old now.

I would have picked whatshisname off the professionals who died recently?

I think he may have been put forward to play bond at some point.

Archived