Male Pattern Baldness. You?

Weird thing about male pattern baldness, it is far more prevalent than it used to be.

For instance, I have nine male cousins who's ages range between 28 and 38, of those 4 are showing signs, to lesser or greater degree, of this trend.

Alternatively I have a football team photo of me and 12 team mates taken back in 1967.

Of the 13 members of the squad only one is showing any sign and he was the oldest at 39/40 ish.

Including myself, I still know 7 of that group and only one of us has gone bald. Thankfully it's not me!

Anyone any theories as to this change?

Weird thing about male pattern baldness, it is far more prevalent than it used to be.

For instance, I have nine male cousins who's ages range between 28 and 38, of those 4 are showing signs, to lesser or greater degree, of this trend.

Alternatively I have a football team photo of me and 12 team mates taken back in 1967.

Of the 13 members of the squad only one is showing any sign and he was the oldest at 39/40 ish.

Including myself, I still know 7 of that group and only one of us has gone bald. Thankfully it's not me!

Anyone any theories as to this change?

Diet is probably the cause in most cases.

I would never let a gay guy cut my hair.

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 15:31 ----------

That's just one of many,many reasons.

How would you know if he was gay or not?

What other reasons do you think are responsible?

Its the easiest thing to identify too. Our diets change year on year and so we can tell how much of food type X we are consuming

Only thing is those cousins I mentioned are all Irish and live there. The Irish diet is not identical to ours, they consume a lot more of their own home produced products.

The male pattern baldness however is about the same in both countries.

Only thing is those cousins I mentioned are all Irish and live there. The Irish diet is not identical to ours, they consume a lot more of their own home produced products.

The male pattern baldness however is about the same in both countries.

Thats because male pattern baldness is inherited genetically and as nothing at all to do with diet.

Thats because male pattern baldness is inherited genetically and as nothing at all to do with diet.

Obviously, genetics play a part but it's not the whole story. My cousins for instance consist of two sets of three brothers, in each case only one of the brothers has it. Then there are two brothers one with, one without. The ninth cousin is an only child and the youngest and the worst effected.

As it was only my mother who was Irish you'll appreciate that all of these lads are related to each other,brothers or first cousins in fact.

And genetics does not explain the increase in male pattern baldness. As I said in my original post it has definitely increased since my youth.

Obviously, genetics play a part but it's not the whole story. My cousins for instance consist of two sets of three brothers, in each case only one of the brothers has it. Then there are two brothers one with, one without. The ninth cousin is an only child and the youngest and the worst effected.

As it was only my mother who was Irish you'll appreciate that all of these lads are related to each other,brothers or first cousins in fact.

And genetics does not explain the increase in male pattern baldness. As I said in my original post it has definitely increased since my youth.

Hereditary conditions aren't always passed down to the next generation, and mutated genes can remain dormant for generations. One child might suffer from an heredity condition whilst other children remain unaffected, but the unaffected children can pass the gene to their children.

Hereditary conditions aren't always passed down to the next generation, and mutated genes can remain dormant for generations. One child might suffer from an heredity condition whilst other children remain unaffected, but the unaffected children can pass the gene to their children.

Totally appreciate that, but as I say it doesn't explain the dramatic increase. It really is quite noticeable how many more youngish men have this problem ( if it is a problem ) than used to in my youth.

In the 60s or 70s it was very unusual to meet a youngish guy who was follically challenged.

It would have been very noticeable at that time because long hair for men was in fashion.

The good news for Rampent and his fellow sufferers is that according to my wife and daughters plus several other female friends, it makes no difference to them finding a man attractive.

As I have a full head of silvery hair they weren't being kind, just stating a fact. :D

I'm just puzzled as to why this change has come about.

Archived