Scottish Referendum

Who invented the game of football?

Not the Scots, according to Google. What are you referring to when your trying to associate the invention of football and Scotland, the name ?

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 03:46 ----------

Just for fun , Only a few ..... http://www.magicdragon.com/Wallace/thingscot.html

According to that your taking credit for king Arthur :hihi:

There's many a theory as to that legend.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 03:53 ----------

Research who invented the english language. .. Who invented the game of football? Who invented ( founder of bank of england ) ... I think you will find NOT The English.

The least you could do would be to have enough respect to use a capitol E in England, or was your education lacking ?

I don't think there would be a forum large enough to state all the things the world owed to English people, so lets not get into a who did this or that.

And wouldn't it be ironic if, like you say, the founder of the Bank of England was a Scot, and you won't be able to have anything to do with it after a Yes vote :hihi:

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 03:57 ----------

Oh ... Your phone...

I have a mobile and I would like to dedicate that invention to Gene Roddenberry, who conceived the Star Trek series.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 04:00 ----------

Here's something hypothetical to think of Amberleaf, The Scots vote yes, the Bank of England won't let you use the £, you turn to the EU and the British Veto your joining. ;)

People forget the Scots hold a lot of trump cards.

A massive renewable energy capacity, capable of generating way more than they need.

60% of proven oil reserves in the EU

12% of proven reserves of gas in the EU

70% of the UK's coal

The UK's only operational base for nuclear-armed subs, key to our seat on the UN security council

They could take back control of their fisheries

The capability to just walk away from it's share of UK debt. They could do it - they'd have a tough few years like Iceland did after default, another northern country with abundant energy and natural resources, but it's those resources that will eventually underpin its own currency.

If they set up their own currency their financial sector would rapidly shrink, as larger banks relocate to England to have the BofE as a lender of last resort. But crucially Scotland would lose the high risk financial operations, be free of them forever.

I think there's a chance that within 20-30 years Scotland could become a country much like Norway. They may not need the EU and they certainly won't need the rest of the UK. If it turns out they don't need the EU then it's what may eventually make the Ukip case irresistible.

It's why Westminster is running scared. It's everything the cosy elite don't want: a green, resource-rich country giving the rods to the banks and institutions that increasingly control our lives for the worse.

People forget the Scots hold a lot of trump cards.

A massive renewable energy capacity, capable of generating way more than they need.

60% of proven oil reserves in the EU

12% of proven reserves of gas in the EU

70% of the UK's coal

<snip>

This is one thing I often wonder about. Are the oil and gas reserves within 12 miles of the Scottish coast or are they out in the open sea ? Because if they are in the open sea, surely they belong to whoever gets them ?

Genuine question(s).

This is one thing I often wonder about. Are the oil and gas reserves within 12 miles of the Scottish coast or are they out in the open sea ? Because if they are in the open sea, surely they belong to whoever gets them ?

Genuine question(s).

Good question.

Marine mineral rights are based on something called an Exclusive economic Zone (EEZ) which stretches 200 miles from the coast or until it meets an EEZ of another country. For oil and gas purposes the North Sea is carved up in that way.

Your attitude is one of pure spite.

Have you been to Scotland? You can be subject to anti-English racism on Princess street in the capital Edinburgh.

Per capita, Scotland received more money from Central government then the English and then has the audacity to charge English students to study in its universities which is in breach of EU law.

Alex Samond is buying votes with English money and we have had to put up with his anti-English retrorocket for years!

I don't blame people for feeling a little bit of spite towards the Scottish. They certainly do not appear to appreciate the help and support they receive form the rest of the UK.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 09:40 ----------

Good question.

Marine mineral rights are based on something called an Exclusive economic Zone (EEZ) which stretches 200 miles from the coast or until it meets an EEZ of another country. For oil and gas purposes the North Sea is carved up in that way.

Good point and one that Samond appears to have missed is that the Orkney Islands and the Shetlands do not want to be part of Scotland as an independent nation. They want to be part of the UK. The oil fields that Samond seems to think will pay his way are clustered around these island and so would not be part of Scotland, but rather remain within the UK's EEZ.

Good question.

Thanks - wasn't aware of that.

Have you been to Scotland? You can be subject to anti-English racism on Princess street in the capital Edinburgh.

I have to ask, what exactly were you doing to attract this 'anti-English racism?

I have been to Scotland many times on business and three times for short breaks. I have stayed overnight and gone out in the evening in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Perth.

Have also spent the day in Aberdeen, and on not one single occasion has any Scot been less than friendly to me.

Not saying there aren't a few Scots with a chip on their shoulder but they are in the minority in my experience.

As for them joining the EU we would vote for them because they would be seen as a future ally in EU politics.

Their problem would be Spain, they have their own independence problems and wouldn't want to encourage the Catalans and Basques to go the same way.

Per capita, Scotland received more money from Central government then the English and then has the audacity to charge English students to study in its universities which is in breach of EU law.

Alex Samond is buying votes with English money and we have had to put up with his anti-English retrorocket for years!

I don't blame people for feeling a little bit of spite towards the Scottish. They certainly do not appear to appreciate the help and support they receive form the rest of the UK.

Good point and one that Samond appears to have missed is that the Orkney Islands and the Shetlands do not want to be part of Scotland as an independent nation. They want to be part of the UK. The oil fields that Samond seems to think will pay his way are clustered around these island and so would not be part of Scotland, but rather remain within the UK's EEZ.

Have to be honest I don't like the Scots much as a people but I'm not going to let that cloud my views about this issue. That said, I've never had any trouble whenever I've been there.

The Orkney/Shetlands thing could get very interesting. I'm not sure they want to be part of the UK on the same terms as now. It looks like they want a similar status to the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man - to become a dependency rather than remain an integral part of the UK.

I have to ask, what exactly were you doing to attract this 'anti-English racism?

A stones throw form the Balmoral Hotel on the corner of Leith Street.

Scottish Person: "Excuse me can I ask you a few questions".

Me: "Sorry, I'm too busy, I'm on my way to Waverley".

Scottish Person: "Oh, you're English, go away".

Me: "What!"

Scottish person ignores me and starts talking to another passer by.

My father a few years back was driving through a town in Scotland and stopped to ask for directions. One teenager was about to reply when the other said "Your English..." the last of which was for him to go forth and multiply.

I don't wish for Scotland to leave the UK, but I can see why some people are finally letting their dislike of the scots come to the surface over this issue. Especially when we are treated badly by certain people in Scotland and its elected government.

The whole, Scottish MP's voting on English only laws is nothing more than to spite England. If they had any respect they would abstain from voting.

That's not racism as such, more a case of nationalistic bigotry.

You'd probably experience the exact same attitude in deep Wales (analogical deduction), and would definitely experience it in Ireland (factual and unfortunately oft-repeated experience...which, each time, was a bit rich, considering I'm from the Continent :hihi: It made for savoury, and duly savoured, comebacks :D).

Rise above it, WeX. Small minds, thankfully they are a small minority, however noisy they may be.

Archived