Anyone know what is this?

The hole in one side made me think it was a nest of some sort, there were leaves stuck to what I would be the back and the rest looked kind of sandy/clay looking, if it is there in the morning I'll take some more pics.

I don't suppose breaking it open would hurt anything now, although we have currently got a lot of rain, back to the ground bait would you make a ball that big, it was like a melon.

Well i wouldnt.:)And with all this rain you would think it would have fell apart if it was groundbait.

it looks like the fruitcrop of the fungus bionites fergungulum - was it waxy and sponge like?

I wouldn't say sponge like, mm maybe a waxy looking texture on the outside, I've no idea whether that's a real name or not, but I suppose it could be some kind of funghi.

---------- Post added 08-02-2014 at 20:15 ----------

I've just googled ground bait balls, images, and I must say it did look just like that but a lot bigger and the hole still threw me, unless something had been eating eat.

But as someone else said the rain we had last night would surely have dissolved it and there were no fisherpeople around unless they had been and gone it was 11am ish.

Archived