Clay's Yard Meadowhall road

Census returns indicate that Clay's Yard was the second "court" in Meadowhall Road, between Nos 11 and 19. Old directories show that No 11 was on the corner of Naseby Street, and No 19 was just before Station Lane. So it would seem from this that Clay's Yard was in the area enclosed by Naseby Street and Station Lane, indicated by the blue arrow on this map. Here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site, looking under the bridge at the row of houses that were Nos 1 to 11. Clay's Yard would have been to the right of this view, a little further along Meadowhall Road - in fact the entrance to the yard can perhaps be seen, immediately to the right of the row of houses.

No she was a Rooms then a Whitehead (born 1915) she only left Station lane when she got married the family had moved from Dearne street to Station lane just before she was born not far for them to move, She remembers being able to look in to the Crown pub from her bedroom window and seeing all the factory workers come down the lane to Vickers. She remembers a lot i have visited the area but there is only the Crown Pub left the rest is covered and looks awful.

Yes, I see the family now in Dearne Street - John, Sarah and (as of 1911) three surviving children, one child having died in infancy. I don't know if you have done the family tree and/or have access to census returns, but PM me an email address if you'd like a JPEG scan of the 1911 census page, with John 's signature etc.

I did wonder about a possible link with the Crokers, as their youngest daughter was born in 1915 and (according to a recent electoral roll) is also still going strong at 98!.:)

I know what you mean about the area changing. The house where I was born was demolished in the 1960s and the house where I grew up was demolished in the 1980s - but I'm keeping one jump ahead of the bulldozers..:P

Archived