Rib injury any advice?

Hi, 3 weeks ago I came off my bike landing ribs first onto a kerb. A doctor looked and said nothing was broken. Didn't have an x-ray.

I know nothing can be done but over the last 2 days the pain has got much worse compared to when I did it. I was hoping by now it was starting to ease off not getting worse, hurts to breath now but didn't before.

Other than painkillers anything worth trying to help or is it basically shut up and put up with it?

JP

Basically grin and bare it. I injured my rib last October and was in agony about 5 days later. Every time I sneezed it felt like my ribs were snapping. I tied a scarf around me to constrict the amount of movement but that's not really advisable because it alters your breathing.

I reckon it was about 2 months before I could sneeze without sharp pain or sleep on that side again.

When I injured my ribs I found it helped to hug a cushion to my ribs when I was getting out of bed or getting up from a chair.

Pain killers were a waste of time ,its just a case of waiting for them to heal,Mine took a good few weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jon, unfortunately ribs take quite a while to heal.

Obviously if you are really concerned seek medical help. When I broke my ribs it took forever together better and it didn't help that I had hay fever at the time and as taxman said sneezing really, really hurts.

I thinks strong, prescribed. painkillers are your only option.

Good luck mate.

You can go back in and tell them what has happened. When I stupidly lifted a heavy box and trapped a nerve in my spine, I was in absolute agony. Why it did not hurt at the time was because I actually stretched my muscle beyond its normal position and I did not warm down afterwards properly. The muscle contracted slowly than my spine position and it got trapped basically. If I knew this, I could've asked for physio. Instead, some colleagues mentioned to use deep heat to relax the muscle again in order to warm it up again and to let it slowly ease out of the spine position.

If you are hurting now, and there is no bones broken, then it will be to do with the muscles, and the surrounding areas, now that you are using your body normally, there could be pressure added to the affected area. I would try to push for either physio or acupuncture to ease the pain away and make sure there is no misalignment and so forth.

It get's worse before it get's better, the pain might even move around and unfortunately lasts a few weeks before noticeable improvement, there is little they can do for cracked or bruised ribs, only fractures that damage the lungs, and you would know about that alright !

When I injured my ribs I found it helped to hug a cushion to my ribs when I was getting out of bed or getting up from a chair.

Pain killers were a waste of time ,its just a case of waiting for them to heal,Mine took a good few weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.

The cushion is a good idea nikita, when I had mt breastbone opened (open heart surgery), they give you a small pillow to hug to your chest when you cough (cough pillow) it works.

Archived