Giraffe put down in Copenhagen

Death in Copenhagen, the Sequel.

Not sure whether the actual shooting was done in public, but the autopsy, butchery and subsequent feeding of poor young Marius carried out in the full view of the interested public, including little kids.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/09/marius-the-giraffe-skinned-and-fed-to-lions-as-children-look-on-4296818/?ITO=facebook

Could it get any worse? :(

Death in Copenhagen, the Sequel.

Not sure whether the actual shooting was done in public, but the autopsy, butchery and subsequent feeding of poor young Marius carried out in the full view of the interested public, including little kids.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/09/marius-the-giraffe-skinned-and-fed-to-lions-as-children-look-on-4296818/?ITO=facebook

Could it get any worse? :(

Maybe they bring there kids up to understand nature and not have the sort of disconnect that ours have with where their food comes from ?

I'm all for education, I think that if your going to eat meat you should understand where it comes from.

Is the life of this giraffe more valuable than the cows, sheep or impala that would otherwise have to be killed to feed the big cats?

Good point.

Regardless of the reasons behind it, it seems like a terrible PR move on the part of the director of the park, and feeding the poor giraffe to the lions makes it sounds even worse.

I think it's deliberate.

...err..because it's dead?

:hihi::thumbsup::cool:

I'll not be buying Iceland burgers for a while - and deffo not neck of lamb

I'm sure it's lean and gamey - why not farm them? I can just picture majestic herds of Giraffe grazing the hawthorn in the Hope Valley, heads poking out of the mist. - http://s29.postimg.org/c8hpupmf9/hopevalleygiraffes.jpg

Maybe they bring there kids up to understand nature and not have the sort of disconnect that ours have with where their food comes from ?

I'm all for education, I think that if your going to eat meat you should understand where it comes from.

This is also true^

I think there's a difference in the slaughter of animals bred for the purpose of providing food for humans and for other meat eating animals, and killing one bred for 'entertainment' because it's no longer of use or interest to the owner. Most children will eventually realise that the meat on the plate comes from an animal.

This is totally different, the wilful slaughter of a 'domesticated' animal purely bred to attract people to their zoo, to see the sweet baby giraffe, and then coldly disposed of because it was of no use to them anymore.

What sort of lesson is that teaching those kids? When the sweet little puppy or kitten starts to bore you, it's ok to dispose of it? The looks on those kids faces, presumably being made to watch by their own parents, says it all to me. They were not liking it. Maybe the lesson they learned today won't be the one that the parents/zoo were hoping for?

I think there's a difference in the slaughter of animals bred for the purpose of providing food for humans and for other meat eating animals, and killing one bred for 'entertainment' because it's no longer of use or interest to the owner. Most children will eventually realise that the meat on the plate comes from an animal.

This is totally different

No, it really isn't.

The only difference here is the empathy factor. Copenhagen Zoo is clearly on a mission to confront people with the contradictions of a pet-loving, zoo visiting, meat eating society.

God knows they eat a lot of pork in Denmark.

Good to see the kids involved (I don't think they forced them to watch!)

Did anyone like my giraffes in the mist pic?

No, it really isn't.

The only difference here is the empathy factor. Copenhagen Zoo is clearly on a mission to confront people with the contradictions of a pet-loving, zoo visiting, meat eating society.

God knows they eat a lot of pork in Denmark.

Good to see the kids involved (I don't think they forced them to watch!)

Did anyone like my giraffes in the mist pic?

Very good :)

I can't make my mind up on this one. Whilst I agree with what you posted, I think that people won't see it this way.

Like someone said earlier, if it had been snake or something, it wouldn't have even been worth a twitter comment (in the world's eyes).

It's probably not an uncommon practice, but by today's standards of 'judge first, think never', then it could be a bit of a media fueled disaster for the zoo.

Very good :)

Cheers Ash!

I can't make my mind up on this one. Whilst I agree with what you posted, I think that people won't see it this way.

I'm comfortable with my contradictions. I know they're there and they don't trouble me.

Like someone said earlier, if it had been snake or something, it wouldn't have even been worth a twitter comment (in the world's eyes).

If it just had a shorter neck it would be just another ungulate. No one would care.

It's probably not an uncommon practice, but by today's standards of 'judge first, think never', then it could be a bit of a media fueled disaster for the zoo.

I think they were not ignorant of the likely mediastorm, tbh.

Cheers Ash!

I'm comfortable with my contradictions. I know they're there and they don't trouble me.

If it just had a shorter neck it would be just another ungulate. No one would care.

I think they were not ignorant of the likely mediastorm, tbh.

More fool them then.

-

To explain my indecision slightly more clearly: I eat cow/pig/chicken, but if they were my animals, I'd have a hard time killing them. My Grandad [who died before I was born] was a butcher, but I don't think I have acquired any ability from him :hihi: I'd be a crap farmer.

Of course if I was living on an deserted island and hungry, I would have to do it then. And would I.

This is totally different, the wilful slaughter of a 'domesticated' animal purely bred to attract people to their zoo, to see the sweet baby giraffe, and then coldly disposed of because it was of no use to them anymore.

What sort of lesson is that teaching those kids? When the sweet little puppy or kitten starts to bore you, it's ok to dispose of it? The looks on those kids faces, presumably being made to watch by their own parents, says it all to me. They were not liking it. Maybe the lesson they learned today won't be the one that the parents/zoo were hoping for?

Firstly I think you are using words for effect, no one anywhere has even suggested this was some form of entertainment.

If anything I think the word more suited is educational.

People go to zoo's to be educated and the kids there did not seem to be restrained so I imagine they were there for that purpose.

The lesson they will have learned will have been one that shows them the reality of life, not one about cute cute kittens and ham sandwiches that they think the magic fairy makes.

Ok so it may be a shock that the lions and tigers they see eating get their food from an animal that they saw alive last week but at least they will be under no illusion about life and will understand how it works, and when gran dies they won't be scared to go to bed in case she is watching them.

Archived