New El Paso, ex-Moorfoot Tavern

EccleRd22

The £250,000 transformation of Cumberland Street's former Moorfoot Tavern into the brand new El Paso Mexican/Italian restaurant is being hailed as the next exciting chapter in the regeneration of The Moor area in Sheffield.

The opening of the stylish eatery, bar and party venue is creating over twenty new jobs and displays the confidence sweeping the area following the unveiling of the multi-million pound new Moor Market in early December.

El Paso, which faces the markets building, has been running successfully in much smaller premises at 8, Cumberland Street, for almost twenty years.

But the regeneration plans for the Moor area persuaded the owners the time was right for major expansion and they made the move to buy next door - the former pub at number 10.

The £250,000 investment means the new El Paso restaurant can cater for up to 120 covers - a four fold increase on before. They are also open for daytime trade as well as evening.

El Paso spokesperson, Sergio Arenas, said: "We've regularly been referred to as one of Sheffield's best kept culinary secrets and have built a strong and loyal client over the years despite the area's dwindling footfall in recent times.

"We believe we have a strong brand that can be expanded into the larger premises and start to put the Moor area on the city's culinary map alongside existing restaurants like the nearby Shapla and Zing Vaa."

The new, fully licensed, El Paso boasts bar, restaurant and area for dancing.

It is also offering the space for small scale conferences and business meetings in the day time.

Sandra Barley, liaison manager for The Moor, said: "We're delighted to welcome the new El Paso to The Moor regeneration area. The work they've done transforming the former Moorfoot Tavern is breathtaking and their new business truly reflects the vision we've got for the future of the area."

El Paso bookings can be made on 0114 273 9523 and more information can be found on http://www.elpasorestaurant.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

Having been on a birthday night out to the new El Paso we came away somewhat disappointed.

No atmosphere, people eating and leaving, no disco as promised though the singer/DJ was a good allrounder.

Main meals arrived halfway through starters! The saucy fish dish was dry on the top and looked unappetising.

Ordered drinks which didn't arrive so had to reorder. Seemed to be a distinct shortage of staff though the staff were ok.

Lovely toilets except the trendy waterfall taps I had been admiring on TV aren't as impressive in real life.

Looks like we're back to Viva Tequila, it has a captive audience being out of the way.

Mmmm, looks like it belongs to the take away next door and they decided to branch out.

Maybe they should stick to fast food and leave the fine dining business to the professionals :hihi:

As it has been there 20 years and has always had seating, they probably consider themselves professionals.

Funnily enough went there the other night expecting it to be in its usual place and was somewhat surprised to find that it had moved next door to what were the premises of the Moorfoot Tavern.

I liked the food and it was to the same standard as I had expected. However the music and DJ were way too loud for my liking in a restaurant.

I'm glad they've expanded, but moving into new premises they seem to have forgotten that many like to have a meal where they can talk and enjoy their food.

I stumbled across their tripadvisor ratings the other day. I've been in the past and thought the place really poor.

There seems to be a hell of a lot of 5* ratings within a very close period of time.

I'm not insinuating anything though, they must just have been absolutely fabulous for a week or two ;)

We went a couple a weeks ago and thought it was horrible.

We both had Steak for our mains, it was very poor and tasted like chump. Kids running around all over the place unattended, including playing 'tiggy' in the toilets.

There was plenty of food on your plate, just of a very poor quality...

Archived