Where to go lane swimming?

King Edwards is too warm for me all the time (although I can see how some people would like it).

If you want to swim at reasonable speeds or distances, Goodwin has a mid sport/leisure temperature and is 33m. Lane swimming most days 7-9.30, or 8-17.30 weekends

Ponds Forge is for the serious swimmer - proper training temperature (might be a bit cold for some). The full 50m pool is open to the public on Tuesday evenings and at various other times, 25m the rest of the time.

Ponds forge is the best by far imo

Agree no fun at peak times though, best times to go are in the day before about 4.30 and later in the evening.

50 meter swimming available from 4.00 tues/thurs

Also often unavailable many weekends due to events.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to Westfield for the advertised 15-16:30 lane swim to be told it's cancelled for a private party...great!

Ended up in Eckington with everyone else, which I find a bit too warm tbh.

Going to try ponds forge, but commuting 11 miles to get a decent swim is a bit far 4-5 times a week.

It does annoy me when proper swimming plays second fiddle to everything else!

Westfield wednesday evenings is when i sometimes go.

£2.90 With a life card.Bargain for such a modern clean facility.

The downside to it is the swimmers etiquette(90% swim in rows of threes and stop and start and talk about what theyve spread on there ryvita for tea,or how theyve just booked a spa weekend on there husbands credit card)get the gist?The last time i went i was bullied over in 3 different lanes because they were too slow or just getting on my t@@s,i think its the same everywhere you go.

They have background music in the facility which is quite chirpy and modern if you like that sort of thing.

Eckington baths has a fault-the dressing rooms are perishing,ive not been for 18months,the last time i went i took my 18 month old daughter,when we were getting dried off it was so cold her lips were blue!!

Archived