News - flood/storm coverage

1607: Bristol floods

Traditionally it had been believed that the floods were caused by a storm surge, a combination of meteorological extremes and a high tide.

Subsequent scientific explanations suggested a tsunami.

So nothing to do with rain or bad weather; it is difficult to gauge weather events over long time periods.

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 10:23 ----------

It does seem to me that we have have more floods in recent years, Hull, Sheffield, York, with 2007 being a good year for floods.

The news on the other side mentioned the gulf stream was further south than normal.

It's nice to see something on the news rather than the usual political mud slinging.

they can sling some real mud at each other now....

wonder if we should put up a poll as to which politicians we'd like to see mud wrestling....

wonder if we should put up a poll as to which politicians we'd like to see mud wrestling....

I have always disliked Eric Pickles, but I dont think that he would do well with anything involving exercise.

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 11:01 ----------

Flood defence measures have to create a saving of £8 per £1 they spend. as only 40 houses are flooded in the Somerset levels, I kind of see why they didn't dredge the rivers.

I did wonder how many houses were affected.

"Somerset County Council says about 150 properties, in the villages of North Moor, Salt Moor, Fordgate and Moorland, are affected by the current crisis on the Somerset levels. The Environment Agency says up to 40 homes have actually flooded."

But it is continuing, and getting worse.

I saw some of it on the news this morning, all the people gathered in a community centre crying and stuff.

Then it cut to an aerial view of a flooded area, all the houses were right on the river (the Thames?)

I was left thinking:

"you bought a house on a river, you have a massive boat out back on your own jetty"

"You're surprised your house floods when storms blow in????????"

The news on the other side mentioned the gulf stream was further south than normal.

It's nice to see something on the news rather than the usual political mud slinging.

Its actually the jet stream that has been displaced further south.The gulf stream is a constant flow of warm sea that flows from the tropics up towards northern latitudes.:)

as other people have pointed out, he would make a rather fine sandbag

pickles is a leading expert on nutrition and how to extract the most from your food. he is wasted in his current role.

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 12:53 ----------

i love global warming. rain instead of snow and high temperatures should see my gas bill plummet.....in theory, but i'm sure the energy companies will raise prices to plug the resultant hole in their profits.

when my fuel bills read £0 - you owe us nothing, THEN i might think about global warming.

Archived